Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X problems

Ken Do It

Major is an understatement. Let see, can't put config file on server to keep it common with everyone. Can't create generic toolpaths and then post to a specific machine. Can't edit a fillet(arc) and make it tangent to 2 lines. It is cool that you can delete it and recreate a new one and the toolpath will recreate using it, but it messes up the solid. The new editor sucks for me. If I had a program that I commented as I was running it, I can't just do a control arrow key to the new program.

So far I am not impressed. I know that it was a big change, but can't see how this is bigger, better, and faster. Hope that with more work and training that I will become more impressed.

Glenn

P.S. Maybe this is my lack of knowledge of X, or that it is just hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But I'll keep trying (for awhile).

I'm starting to get the new interface, I had a little work with the machine definition though. I noticed doing the things ive learned faster than i did them in 9 though. Still have other work to do and were still waiting on a chook we use alot before we can try to go full transition. Were also getting new computers so thats kind of when we expect to install x permanently.

Blasphemy! biggrin.gif

Have you gone over the transition guide yet? I have not had a customer to try to put the configs on a network, put should be possible with X. Check your paths.

I cant find the command line switches(its prolly sitting next to what's left of my mind which I also seem to have recently lost.) Do any of you guys have it? There is/was a way of launching mc for different users there also.

Yes, I walked thru the transition guide. We created a shortcut icon that we put on all the mastercam seats that we have here with V9. It had the path to the config file after the .exe I tried it on X and it doesn't work. On page 61 in the intro to mastercam book it says that "Note: the .CONFIG file type and a fixed "save as" laocation (Mastercam Config directory) are required and cannot be changed". I have called mastercam about this. They have no answer for me yet. I know that there is still tons to learn. I am just not that impressed with all the bells and whistles. I believe in the old kiss rule(keep it simple stupid).

Glenn

This is what I have in that line

C:mcamxmastercam.exe x:CollaborationCNCDataTemplates_NCPMCAMconfigCNC MILLS.config

with x: being a mapped server drive. This is how we have 9 set up and it works great. With X, it just uses the config on the computer, not the server.

This way we have everyone using the same set up. Saves me lots of headaches.

Glenn

quote:

x:CollaborationCNCDataTemplates_NCPMCAMconfigCNC MILLS.config

Maybe the folder named config in the PATH is

causing the problem??? Perhaps the shortcut is reading that as the filename extension and stoping there???

It can't find a config file so it defualts back to the C drive??

Just a thought

Pete,

Adding the "'s seem to work.

Thanks.

Can you help with this as well

Can't edit a fillet(arc) and make it tangent to 2 lines. It is cool that you can delete it and recreate a new one and the toolpath will recreate using it, but it messes up the solid.

Thanks

Glenn

heeler,

I guess that you want the lines to change length/angle to automatically remain tangent with the arc the you edited? If that's the case then I'm afraid it's not possible. It works the same way as V9 in this respect, i.e. once the fillet is created, it's just considered an arc, and two lines happen to meet it at the endpoints.

I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong though!

Rich,

In V9 if I created a fillet, say .25 between 2 lines. Used them in creating or triming a solid and in a toolpath. Then found out that I made a mistake and the the fillet should have been .125. You could go in and analyze the fillet, select the redifine button, then use the fillet function again to redefine the fillet to a .125, if you had it set to trim it would trim your lines. Then you just had to go to solids manager and regen the solid, and toolpath manager and regen the toolpaths. This would work probably 95% of the time. Sometimes you would have a little problems if it affected several faces of the solid. Generally it would work really well, and very quickly would fix your mistake. You can very easily redefine any entity in the analyze function in V9. doesn't seem anywhere near as easy in X.

HTH

Glenn

Rekd,

I think the main thing about using "redefine" in V9 is that it changed the entity, but kept the same ID# in the files' database. This is what allows solids just to be regenned, rather than re-chained.

Doesn't look like it's there in X at the moment. I tried refilleting (is that a word??) but it actually creates a brand new arc rather than changing the old one, and so breaks the chain.

Rekd,

My work around for now is to create a new correct arc/fillet, then create a center point, delete the arc, analyze the old arc, change the radius/dia. pick the change position icon, set on point and pick the center point I created from the new arc. Pain in the arse. but it does work. The old way was a lot easier.

Glenn

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hey, I've got an idea... Don't fillet the geometry, fillet the SOLID. That works 100% of the time NO MATTER WHAT VERSION, V7.2c, V8, V9, X

James teh draws geometry sharp when/if at all possible. wink.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

James,

I have many times had to put the fillet in the chain rather than the solid. If I tried to do it in the solid, it would apply it to other faces close to the faces I needed the fillet. I just happened to find this lacking feature when doing a fillet. The way that we could analyze and correct errors with V9 (by just redefine, retrim, ect and regenerate) was in MHO was alot better in V9. I am sure that I will get better with X as I go, but this is one area I feel that they misssed the boat.

Glenn

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

In my past experiences with drawing the fillets, instead of creating them in Solids, I ran into tangency issues and/or being unable to create the feature. I'd try the draw sharp method first, then if that does not work, go the old route.

JM2C

+1 to James.

The rreason for this is that the fillet you created with geometry still has the same characteristics as a fillet, except you can't suppress it or change it's position in the tree. Then when you want to create a larger fillet in the same area, bingo, your in the ****.

Solids Rule When filleting.

Biggest to smallest in that order.

HTH