Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Power tapping revisited please...

Brendan P

Ok,I will not ever claim to know everything in this trade,but I would like to know how you guys do it.

On my cnc verticals,I use one of those tension/compression holders.

Now I always select an RPM,and let Mastercam calculate the feed based on the tap thread I'm using.

One of the guys in the shop is saying that you should always reduce the feed rate by 10 percent.

Is this a true statement?Is this what you guys do?

I have always seemed to have no trouble doing just as I said by letting mastercam figure it out,or by just selecting an RPM and dividing by TPI

thanks,

The 10% increase works good with a Tapmatic type floating head. I used to use this method on some Fadals I was running.

With the standard cnc tapping heads I always use the thread pitch times the feedrate straight-up. Examples; 1/4-20 tap = S200 F10., 1/2-13 tap = S130 F10. with no increase or decrease.

I do the same for rigid tapping. I don't know if the machine compensates in G84.2 (rigid tapping) or not, but it has always worked good for me, even on close tolerance threads.

I've gotten in the habit of using a starting point of 10 ipm for aluminum and 5 ipm on mild steel and modifying from there as needed.

I could be wrong, but I think the 10% drop is more of a thing of the past or something to be used for older machine or applications.

Thanks for the replys. The guy who was saying this is one of the 'Know it alls' and biggest bitch in the shop,but cannot program a simple linear cut never mind a tap cycle!

I just hate having to listen to idiots,that's why I count on you guys for real world answers.

The sad part about this is that I could print out this thread and tell him to read it and he still wouldnt believe it never mind listen....

Guess that's why he still runs a machine and I dont! eek.gif

One our HMC's in the shop is quite old and doesn't have a rigid tapping cycle on it (or any tapping cycle for that matter). He has mentioned to me that he taps with the compression type holders at a decreased feedrate and jogs the spindle in and out by hand to keep up with the extention or compression of the tap holder.

Where as on my Haas VF6 I have never used anythign but rigid tapping.

I agree with Mark.

Although I haven't had much luck with tension and compression heads on the lathe,they work fine in the mill,before we started rigid tappin.

Another alternative is to get a tapping arm and have the operator tap the parts while another is being machined.

We have one approx. $1500 (I think) and use it all the time.

I have a thought on this one... Prior to vector drive spindles and open loop CNC machines, a spindle could have a "drift" or "over-rotation". Thus when a reversal was called for (get that friggen tap out now), the lagging feed (or advancing in some cases) was completely useful. Imagine reversing a manual mill (with no electronic brake) by flipping the switch. This is manual power-tapping as I learned it. It is hairy but experience allows machinists to od these things.

I'm sure you can visualize the over travle. Yes, 10% is way too much. There are other holders (not tension/compression) that have only advance in them. The lag gets you into the zone of lag/advance for the upcoming reversal.

Sorry so long but hope the "history" helps?