Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

usb hard drives

HEAVY METAL

Yep, they're great. I am assuming you are talking about what are often referred to as USB Keys. I wouldn't call them a hard drive because they're not built like that. they are more like a memory stick.

If you're talking about a USB key, get one. They work great. If by chance you are talking about a USB hard drive, go for a key if it has enough space on it.

I keep one on my keychain. If you're going to do that, buy a good tough brand.

Paul

I went to Office Depot looking for one of those keys and I left with a gigabank. It will hold 80 gig. You can back up your entire computer (and your friends). You plug it into a usb port, press a button and check off the files or folders that you want to put on it. It cost $179.

Had a 20g usb hardrive/mp3 player 'brick' ( still have, don't use) worked ok for many years.

Tried a 1gig thumb drive liked it a lot. Eventually gave it to my wife.

Just bought a 1gig thumb drive / mp3 player /fm radio a few months ago. Absolutely love it. I can transfer files between work and home, listen to music, and don't have to carry a 'brick' around to do it. Its a Creative MuVo TX FM 1 GB MP3 Player if your interested.

Bryan smile.gif

I have been useing the USB pen drives for about 5 years now and they are great.

I also have a 40gig dirive that will fit in my shirt pocket to.

It is a alloy housing with a 40 laptop drive and it get the power from the usb connection.

I use this for all the Tech support customer files when I am at the office.

of cousre along with a few external drive setups to.

Just bought a USB external hard drive with 60Gb of memory space yesterday - works great! Just plugged it into my laptop's USB port and it was ready for use.

Perfect to keep large files and pictures/music files which take up a lot of space. Very conveniant for transporting to another PC.

I use external USB device kit for any IDE

device -can be DVD writer ,CDrom ,hard drive .

1 minute to change device .

30 sec to plug in

Linux supports it ,MacOsX on the fly ,Windows too.

Great thing for me .

Very cheap -30 USD $ !

Reasonably fast .

But the speed can not be compared to internal IDe drive .

Good for backups ,and file transfers .

Love it .

Iskander teh still don`t have disk-on-key .

What people are calling thumb drives or pen drives I call a flash drive. mines 512K.

I just put the old laptops 40gb hard drive into an enclosure. Now its a 40gb USB drive.Its pocket portable. Did the same for a "spare" 160gb hard drive, just not so portable.

I also have this adaptor that will change any IDE device (HDD, CD/DVD, ZIP, etc) into a USB devise. Comes with a power supply for the bigger drives and USB cable.

John "remember when floppies only held 720k...double sided?"

The thumb drive, USB drive, etc. are great. I have used them for years. Main thing is to make sure you tell windows to disconnect them before you pull them out. Doing that too often will cause them to corrupt and loose all data. Sometimes they will fry from doing this. The two I have now are because of 2 people who kept doing this and corrupted them. They were going to throw them out so I grabbem them and reformatted them. One of them required a special software but got it working again.

I have had over 10 of these units and I never tell it to disconnect and never had trouble with this isssue's of loosing data unless I pull them before they are done transfering.

I have suggested these to my students and in some caes sold them to students for cal for over 4 years now with no troubles.

JM2C