Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Recommendations for LCD monitor

Die Sinker

Dell has digital 19in LCD's on sale for $373

I prefer the 20 in, but they are a overproced right now. I got 2 20in Dells for $580 each earlier this year, but they are selling for $750 now.

The $373 19 in LCD is a real good deal.

That 20in wide aspect might make a good X screen cause it would give back some of the workspace lost to the new Operations Manager.

That 20in WA requires a pretty good video card though. Older cards can't run it.

That 24in WA would make a sweet X screen but $1K

is a little too much for me.

Dell monitors on sale

Hey guys

I looked at a Viewsonic VA912B tonight at Office Depot for $399 and a Sony SDM HS-95P for $599 minus a $100 rebate totaled $499. Hard to tell which to get. Thanks for the input people. What's the deal with ms response time and the nits brightness? Its been a long time since I purchased a new monitor-Greek to me!

Keep response time as low as possible. <10ms in my opinion. Less motion blur is the result.

Pay attention to the interface. Analog, digital, or both.

Don't forget that these babys are measured by viewable size. A 17" LCD is similar to a 19" CRT, and so on.

LCD's look best at their native resolution. Chances are you'll get a monitor with a native resolution of 1280 x 1024. Make sure you plan to work at that resolution for best results.

Some monitors have a built in power supply while others have a wall wart, or more often, the box that sits on the floor. No big deal, but the ones that have built in power supplys are better looking and a bit heavier and more stable on their base.

I guess that's it off the top of my head. I bought a Samsung SyncMaster 930b 19" LCD and I like it so much that I had the company get them for everybody. They are cheap, but have good specs. They, believe it or not, are very good quality too. Circuit City ususlly has a good deal, and there are usually rebates on 'em.

Paul

I've got dual dell 20"s and I will not go back. I pull my menus off to the side and have a hot keyu on my space pilot to hide the op manager and this thing kicks.

Like Paul said you have to watch your resolutions. Some of the "older" people around here say they can't read the writing on my screen.

Stork,

These wide aspect monitors require a pretty good video card to run properly. These must support

WSXGA. There is a list on the Dell website of what cards will support these monitors.

Is it possible that your bosses computer

does not have a compatible video card??

See the red warning

They also state that some legacy cards may require new specialized drivers that are available for download from Dell

Don't forget the Dell Outlet, slightly used or not used and returned. Typically less than 3 weeks out of factory, then back in.

They have the 24" WA on there occasionally for $800. $400 less than their list. (but I think the most recent group was $900) If yer thinkin' of buyin two monitors, it might be an option.

Very sweet with the OpMan in X.

ebay has a bunch, if ya wanna deal with that circus. Search " 24" lcd "

http://www.dell.com/

Small Business

middle of page under "Shopping Alternatives and Information", Dell Outlet

middle of page, Select a model, Dell Monitors

When they have 'em, they don't last long. So if ya want one for a deal, ya gotta check the page daily.

I recently bought the 2405FPW and it is amazing! Love that monitor...But, I have seen it drop in price as low as $779.00 shipped with online coupons you can get anywhere...I think these will drop a bit more to get rid of the inventories and to usher in the new products.

24 inches of desk saving LCD! Niiice

quote:

Actually I went to Nvidia's website and downloaded the recommended Quadro driver for Autocad

I don't know why Dell chops the hell out of the video drivers they ship their systems with, but they do. Glad the problem is fixed.

quote:

Don't forget the Dell Outlet

I've bought several computers from Dell Outlet

and been happy with every one of them. I'd be nervous about buying an LCD monitor though.

You might get one someone had returned cause it

had a bunch of dead pixels. Then you have to either live with it or go through the hassle

of returning it.

Maybe Dell sends dead pixel returns back to the factory??? I don't know.

Dead pixels aren't the problem they used to be.

I've bought 8 flat screens in the last 2 years

and had 2 dead pixels.

"...with online coupons..."

Right. The process, for those who may not know:

Find yer Dell coupons in email, techbargains.com, etc.; go to the Dell.com and find yer product, initiate the online buying process and a few pages in, there will be locations where you can cut/paste your coupon,

If you have multiple ("stackable") coupons, repeat the process till done.

dead pixels

I believe some dead pixels are allowed, ya gotta read da fine print. Doesn't make 'em less annoying. Still for most quality LCDs, its a small number

• 8 months later...