Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Problem with Cutting "Air" on Cast Piece

LNDCAD

I have uploaded a file named CAST TEST.MC9 to the MC9 directory on the FTP site( Cast Test MC9 File ). I am trying to rough machine the interior pocket surface where the stock is a casting with the top of stock at an angle rather than horizontal. Is there a way that I can reduce the amount of "air cuts" (look at the front view to see how the toolpaths spend a lot of time in the air)? I quickly made this file as a test piece (I know that I could cut this with a standard pocket cut, and not use surface, however I would have the same problem with the pocket cuts). I already searched the forum and downloaded Iskander's Lazy Tricks for Remachining, checked using STL files for stock in verify, and looked at trimming toolpaths. I can trim the toolpaths to a boundary, but I would like to trim these to an angled top of stock. So far the only method I found was to manually edit the toolpath once it was created. Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks for all the help. I did what Thad suggested and reposted the file with the TRIM to the FTP site as MC9 FlesCAST TEST.MC9. I tried your file Beej, but got an error on the restmill operation when I tried to regenerate - "problem with solid face"??? Thanks anyway.