Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Job Interview

dnguyen1

First question will probably be,

So, tell me about DNguyen.

Be prepared to talk and explain how you got where you are at, why you are looking to move from your current position and why you would be a good fit for the position you are applying.

I like to ask about what the individual believes are his strong points but more importantly what are his weak points.

I would aks questions like what got you started programming.

What are some of the machines you have programmed?

What are some of the controls you have done programs for?

I would ask you what SFM you like ot use on Aluminum or feed per tooth or feed per inch at a spefic RPM for a 3/4 45 deg endmill. What depth of cut?

I might give you a print and ask for ideas on an apporach.

I might aks if you are breathing and want to work and are willing to stick around and hire you on the spot. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif (Inside joke I have had 4 shop guys come in the last month and work anwhere from 45 mintues to 3 days and not come back. Though I did have a guy show up that left at lunch Thurday last week not call or anything and wonder if he still had a job bonk.gifbonk.gifbonk.gifcuckoo.gifcuckoo.gif )

I guess the biggest thing is how well you carry yourself and how confident you are without being an arse about it. I always try to be humble in what I can do that way I sell myself well enough to get the job but not be expected to walk on water becuase I do not care who you are takes time anywhere you go to get in the swing of things.

Have a resume and shaved and dress pretty decent as well that goes a lone wya to personal responsiblity.

Good luck.

Don't be surprised if they sit you down in front of the box and have you shown them at least some rudimentary skills in Mastercam. If this is the case, make sure it's in the version you're now most comfortable with. This happened to me some years ago. Fortunately, all went well and I got the job.

Good luck.

What fastercam said, My last interview they sat me infront of a box with a print and said go for it. Funny thing was I was nervous and the interviewer asked to change the number scheme for the "N" numbers so I opened the post and started to change it. He was like NO! I ment in the editor oh never mind you passed. Then I had a writen test. 6 hour interview all told. It did end in a offer and I have been here ever since.

Afterwards the interviewer did tell me he had people that claimed they knew Mastercam but could not draw and program a simple box.

---------------------------------------------------

He was like NO! I ment in the editor oh never mind you passed. Then I had a writen test. 6 hour interview all told. It did end in a offer and I have been here ever since.

---------------------------------------------------

biggrin.gif Had the same interview and test. When they told me what they were offering I was totaly disapointed. I'd be stuck in traffic making over 10k less a year. Good luck !

Whatever you do, don't lie. We've had some guys at previous employers who have told one thing in interview, another in presentation. The truth always comes out.

I've always heard that if you wear a watch, do NOT look at it, and to answer the ever present what are your faults question with positive answers like

"some times I have trouble accepting my own failure when I mess something up" or "I tend to be too critical of myself" or "I'm an incredibly active people person and sometimes have to catch myself or I'll chat it up"

HTH

-------------------------------------------------

Had the same interview and test. When they told me what they were offering I was totaly disapointed. I'd be stuck in traffic making over 10k less a year. Good luck !

-------------------------------------------------

Man I am glad you did not take the job. I was coming from the Western part of PA and was just laid off. It is truly a great company. They are paying for my move, all the costs selling my house and they did not even mention you get paid OT. Which is unlimited, its nice to work for a company that has money the last three places I worked for were fighting to stay in business.

Edit: Still I can't shake the feeling I got sloppy seconds.

[ 12-20-2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: DC Gorn ]