Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Student help

Scott Bond

• 7 months later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

DONT'T send him to College of the Canyons. I hear the instructor is horrible!!!! biggrin.gifwink.giftongue.gif

j/k Jay! j/k I would say that College of the Canyons, they will let anybody take classes in Community Colleges that can benefit from being there so he would qualify for that. He can try Mastercam Educational to find other schools.

You may want to contact Paten and Associates (they are the educational Mastercam Reseller here in SoCal but I don't know how helpful they will be.

JM2C

James by the way it is Paton & Associates.

You can find there site on my links page of my site.

I just talked to Frank about a week ago.

They are about to open a NTMA training center in North Hollywood area.

That would be a good place.

But I don’t know about the instructor.

James does not have hi hops for him as I can tell. wink.gif (ps it’s me)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Pres,

You could always come to where I teach - Inland Empire NTMA. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif We're going to be starting another Advanced Mastercam class soon. We cover Surfacing in-depth, Solids, Solids Machining, 4-5 Axis Toolpaths, MINOR Post Processor adjustment, and some Mill-Turn stuff.

The thing about instructors is we each do things a bit diffrently. It's born out of how often we use the software (in my case - Monday - Friday), what kinds of work we do, weather we are "Old School" or "New School" (I'm new school - I LIKE Auto-Cursor, drawing 1 part and shifting my WCS around to the different views of the part and machining that instead of having 1 part for every view, Associativity is my friend, machining off Solids kicks booty, etc...), "Old-School" abhors the above mentioned things and would just rather go back to Version 6.13a "beacuse we've always done it that way".

JM2C

I am with you James.

The only thing I don't like to use is the auto curser.

I use the key strokes for my commands and that darn auto curser gets in my way.

(The thing about instructors is we each do things a bit diffrently.)This is for sure.

We all use it a little different to and also matters on the knowledge we have on the software that we can share with the student.

Don't know how helpful Paton and Associates will be? Why I oughttta....

There are several places that teach MasterCAM in your area. Jay seems like a decent enough guy, and you could do far worse than to take one of his classes. Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Glendale College has a wonderful MasterCAM program. I may be somewhat biased though, as I'm the guy teaching it.

If you do want to give us a call (it's 800-826-0570, btw) we can let you know what schools near you have MasterCAM.

Wherever you do decide to go, be sure to give us a call about a student version of MasterCAM.

My classes are going OK, though my school's shop is in a state of transition right now. Part of it is being turned into a classroom, so we had to get rid of some of the older manual machines. When all is said and done we'll be down to 5 manual mills, 6 manual lathes, and our Haas VF-2, VF-4, and HL-2 CNCs. I'm getting 24 new computers though, so it's not all bad.

Is your school going to do the MasterCAM ceritification classes? I'm heading off to the training next month.

quote:

I'm getting 24 new computers though, so it's not all bad.

Hey that is great news. At the college I bring my box the teacher’s box keeps crashing.

Wish they would get new faster then they said.

quote:

Is your school going to do the MasterCAM ceritification classes? I'm heading off to the training next month.

Now that’s what I want to do but looks like I am have to cover it so cant do it right now.

Mike Frimann (sp?) has talked to me about going and a few of the other dealers.

I need to get out there.

Are going for the classes then taking the test?

Jay

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Well Rick, truth be told, I was a student at Mt. San Antonio College back around 1993 and Paten and Assocoates was pretty close to worthless for me. I found the staff's knowledge of Mastercam fair at best. I sent the paperwork to get an Educational Seat several times and never got any response. So as a result, I started dealing with CAD/CAM Consulting Services(Actually, it may have been Quicksilver then, it was a bit ago) who took great care of me pointing me in the right direction for Mastercam information and materials. Now I refer all people Industrial AND Educational to CAD/CAM Consulting Services.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

OUT!

quote:

Hi again. James I can tell you that thing’s have changed for sure over there.

I have been talking and working with them sense I started at the teaching and they have been vary helpful.

I have setup all the paper work with them so I can offer my students the Edu version of MC.

Waiting at this time for my first student’s seat to come.

I to had ordered one and received prompt response and have my key.

JM2C

quote:

Well Rick, truth be told, I was a student at Mt. San Antonio College back around 1993 and Paten and Assocoates was pretty close to worthless for me. I found the staff's knowledge of Mastercam fair at best.

Sorry you had a bad experence with my company. Paton and Associcates didn't have a full-time, dedicated technical support staff until I started working there in '94, and it wasn't until after v5 shipped that I started getting up to speed in MasterCAM (had to learn AutoCAD first). Prior to that we mostly had to forward inquiries to CNC software or to some outside consultants we had arrangements with.

quote:

I sent the paperwork to get an Educational Seat several times and never got any response.

While I cannot now find out what happened to those requests, I will tell you that I'll do whatever I can to see that it dosen't happen in the future. If necessary, you can contact me directly either by calling my office at (800)826-0570 or e-mailing me at [email protected]

quote:

Now that’s what I want to do but looks like I am have to cover it so cant do it right now.

Mike Frimann (sp?) has talked to me about going and a few of the other dealers.

I need to get out there.

Are going for the classes then taking the test?

The way it works is I have to take the certification test, then go to the classes to learn how the certification program itself works.

If all goes well, we should be offering the instructor certifiction classes at our facility by the end of the year. We'll announce it via our e-mail newsletter as soon as we have all the details worked out. If you haven't signed up for our e-mail newsletter, drop me a line and I'll put you on the list.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Rick,

When you offer Mastercam Instructor Certification, what will the cost be? If you don't want to publish the price, could you e-mailme directly? I will be needing some hours to keep up my Credential and that will go towards that, and I can't afford to go up to Gig Harbor.

Thanks,

I took Beg M.C. at Costa Mesa NTMA Fall of 2000--it was one of their first classes and they didn't have a very good curriculum--instructor was a salesman and knew all the bells and whistles but wasn't so good at showing MC for what is was made for--making parts! Also, NTMA required mandatory 5-9:30 PM twice a week,16 weeks, punching a clock(very strict about this).

While I did learn a lot, I found that my time was better spent at Santa Ana College, where I get college credit for my time. They also have a good range of courses, and a good selection of class times. I'm in the summer session right now. Also, for Fall 2002 we will have all new 2gig p4 computers, flat screen monitors, and v9 for your learning enjoyment.

Great instructor--Randy Dunn.

Also--we will actually cut parts on two new Fadals and a new HAAS in the advanced class.

There are also MC classes at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa. I have'nt seen their programming lab, but their department is in a brand new state of the art facility.

Fall Class schedules are already out, so you can check on the Internet to see if it is convenient.

Also--at $11.00 a unit ($33.00 for a 3 unit class), you would be remiss not to consider this option.

Les

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've had College folks as well as your "run of the mill" (pardon the pun) machinist in my classes. One thing about places where training is given, the differences in teaching styles, background etc... varies greatly. With that said, the College where I went to learn Mastercam, Mt. San Antonio College, the first night the instructor got up and said matter of factly that there was a better than average chance that most of the people in the room would know more about Mastercam than he did. He was right. I however was not one of those since I was just getting my feet wet at that time. I learned the bare bones basics there. No more, no less. Am I grateful? You bet your @$$ I am. If it were not for Mt.SAC, I'd surely be making about $20,000 LESS per year. I would not be teaching my craft to others for sure. So, with all of that said - -don't rule ANY educational opportunity out. If you do, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot. You may not feel the pain immediately, perhaps it will be years down the road that you notice that you're bleeding to death at $18/hr. but you will suffer for not taking advantage of every opportunity to learn something new every chance you get. One former student in one of my classes, has taken Mastercam in just about every institution in SoCal that offers it, colleges, trade schools, local Mastercam reseller, etc... he manages to learn something everywhere he goes. That's such a great attitude. I wish there were more like him, not only because those types are grateful for the kowledge they get hold of but because they push me as a teaching professional to keep the students challenged, and they challenge me to develop into a better instructor.

quote:

Also, NTMA required mandatory 5-9:30 PM twice a week,16 weeks, punching a clock(very strict about this).

While I did learn a lot, I found that my time was better spent at Santa Ana College, where I get college credit for my time.

"While I did learn alot.....". What was the instructor's response when you told him that your expectations for the class were not being met? Pardon me for assuming you are professional enough to state your displeasure to the instructor, but you mentioned getting College Credit so I'm making another assumption that your time is very valuable to you and you want the most out of it you can possibly get. Am I correct? So, what did the instructor say?

The clock punching is not a requirement of the NTMA per se, it is a requirement of the State of California (which happens to be footing the bill for the knowledge you are gaining while you're there) so that they know the school is not charging the Stafe for Students that have not attended.

JM2C

quote:

When you offer Mastercam Instructor Certification, what will the cost be? If you don't want to publish the price, could you e-mailme directly?

At this time I am not sure what the costs will be. Proably more than our train-the-trainer classes, but even that is somewhat up in the air. As soon as we get it sorted, I'll let you know and post info on our web site.

Jeez, sounds like I should move to California biggrin.gif

Any of you guys know about any good schooling going on in the East?

I know my reseller has training, but I have a feeling that I could use my company's tuition reimbursement policy to get in a class or two at a local learning institution while "times are too tight for training."

Thanks

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Chris,

Sorry I am not aware of the training situation in your region. You can call or e-mail;

CNC Software Inc.

Educational Division

5717 Wollochet Drive NW Suite 2A

Gig Harbor WA. 98335

Phone: 253.858.6677

Fax: 253.858.6737

[email protected]

They probably have the difinitive list for places teaching Mastercam.

quote:

"times are too tight for training."

Short sighted thining by companies once again. It's really too bad. You shoud definitely take advantage of the Tuition reimbursement that they offer and broaden your knowledge base. Times are to tight to not be prepared for whatever may happen.

JM2C