Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machinable Foam

PBpaul

Hello all:

A couple of years ago, we took small wooden carvings from a local artist, digitized them, scaled them up, and routed them (also in wood) with our CNC router. These upscaled parts were then molded and cast in bronze. Now the same artist is interested in another project that could be physically larger and he's seen other artist's work scaled up and machined in foam. I need to know what kind of foam is suitable for this kind of CNC routing work and who is a good source. Any advice would be appreciated. His work in wood was highly detailed but I suspect that the foam work would not be tremendously detailed.

Paul

I use Renshape almost every day for proto tooling for thermoforming. Be careful if using on a mill--it is very "dusty" and gets into everything--its also abrasive so you need a pretty good vacuum system. We cut it without coolant on a router and built a somewhat enclosed area with negative air pressure vac system to keep the dust from getting everywhere! Good luck--it machines beautifully and is easy to repair (bondo), sand, etc. It holds up to 400 degrees for short thermoforming runs.

I gave up on Ren for forming stuff...prototyping, etc....

Check out these guys. They offer a material called HG3000, which is a plastic but cuts like paper. Hard to explain, but well worth a look. Cheaper than Ren too. Especially since you can purchase the materials and mix it yourself with little effort.

As for the Ren, if that is what you will go with, stick with the 450 board. It is mid-range for density and pricing. A full board, 60 x 16 x 2 will be around $400.

Again, thanks to all for all the info.

We do use MDF but weight is a problem. Also, I think it is "Case Hardened" and if you cut a thin layer off only one face, the sheet is stressed such that it wants to become bowl-shaped where the non-machined face becomes concave.

A couple of the links you all supplied offer samples and that's where I'm headed now.

PBPaul

• 2 weeks later...