Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

View Manager in X – feedback

kathy

I’m finding the View Manager for the WCS very awkward to work with in X. And I use it to set up an auxiliary coordinate system in every program I generate.

First off – when the dialog box is opened the WCS highlighted is always ‘Top’, regardless of what WCS is current. So there is one mouse click already to get to where I need to be.

In V9, you could double click the WCS and it would activate it and close the dialog box. Not so with X. – Although – it appears the ‘WCS by Name’ function is working in MR1 (as opposed to the earlier release of X) by selecting and changing the WCS.

I miss being able to create a quick and temporary xyz origin in C Plane.

I should never want to change my origin for the six ‘canned’ views, but rather create a new view. V9 operated more along this philosophy.

I would still love to see an angle input and designation for all WCS’s. Maybe take a hint from Vericut: 0 0 0 , 180 0 180… as an example to specifying each axis angle.

When I copy an existing WCS to create a new WCS I want to see the origin numbers relative to the current WCS, not the world coordinate system. Origin numbers being relative to the world vs. the work coordinate system is my biggest complaint, and has cost me the most time and frustration!

Btw – I noticed that the coordinate locations in backplot are in world, not work coordinates. Not very good for troubleshooting.

Anyway – just my 2$.

~Kathy

Kathy,

Have you sent these observations off to QC?

You should if you have not.

These are the types of things they respond to usually pretty quickly.

I think this is along the lines of what you are describing

Linky

John -

I kinda wanted to run it by you guys first. I would hate to find out I just missed a setting somewhere, or I'm not understanding something. The WCS is definitely more complex in X than V9, but in my opinion unnecessarily so. Of course, the system must accommodate all the machining options in driving a tool, a scenario that a CAD system can ignore. I have only had one occasion to use a different T Plane from the C Plane so I have very little input there.

I will maybe repost in the Beta section; after all – this are only observations and ‘I want’ as opposed to ‘I need it fixed now or I’m dead in the water’.

~Kathy

quote:

quote:

Btw – I noticed that the coordinate locations in backplot are in world, not work coordinates. Not very good for troubleshooting.

Is this something I need to watch for in MR1, 'cause it's working in SP1/U2?

Its definately showing world coordinates in MR1 for me....I don't remember it ever displaying the toolpaths WCS coordinates in X

Budgie -

I have several similar parts that have a concave surface on one side. They are very long and also curve in the x,y plane. The Z cut on the top is constant. Imagine an inverted curved u channel. The u side is still mounted on the molding fixture, and we are machining both sides and the top.

So, as I was saying, the one side is a slight concave surface along the part – an undercut. So I use a ‘lollypop’ cutter so I can surface machine the sides without interference from the shank. I have a ‘top’ WCS and the T Plane set to ‘top’, but the C Plane is set to ‘right side / left side’. This forces the tool to cut on the surface even if it is an undercut (re: gouge).

Works slick!

I programmed the original parts several years ago, and it took a while to work it all out. In fact, CGTech used Vericut to help in the final debugging prior to purchase. That is just one of the reasons I am so impressed by Vericut’s performance.

~Kathy

cool.gif

Actualy when you get used to x wco it is much easier than v9.

I did experience problems when the part is atthe exact WCS origin, and the try to set a new tplane. try moving the part just a little away from the original point sat .001 then it will work much better.

Honestly X is easier once you get used to it.

quote:

Its definately showing world coordinates in MR1 for me....I don't remember it ever displaying the toolpaths WCS coordinates in X

I just noticed what everybody is talking about with backplot cooordinates. The ones in the lower left are showing world coordinates. I've been watching the coordinates in the backplot window this whole time and they are correct. I quess sometimes ignorance really is bliss.