Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Engraving letters.

Hugh.Venables

In V6 there was a letters toolpath available from the main menu, I think. I can't find anything like this in V8. I presume we should use contour, or maybe pocket.

There are three ways of creating letters. True Type® (what does the R stand for?), Drafting and file. It looks like all three create toolpathable entities. Using True Type results in letters that have an inner and outer boundary which is a problem if the selected cutter won't fit between the boundaries and results in unnecessary cutting if the cutter is smaller than the distance between the boundaries. What I really need is just a single line for the cutter to follow without compensation. Drafting provides letters like this, but without the font or style options.

Any one out there create and toolpath letters for engraving? How do you do it?

Good thing the good old ways still work. Looks like it's out with the number and letter stamps and the hammer for this job!

Hugh Venables.

Use this order:

"Create" Next Menu" "letters" "box"

This will give you the standard Stick letters.

Then do contour all enties window pick a window around the letters.

Turn off cutter control in the Parameters page.

This will run the tool down the center of the lines.

This is the old way work great.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Thanks Jay.

"Create""Next Menu""Letters" leads to Choices of: True Type ®, Drafting or file in V8.1.1. Can't see any "Box". I can get standard stick letters from Drafting (that's the only type of letters I can get from Drafting).

So presumably I can't get any other type lettering from Drafting and I can't get single line lettering from True Type.

Hugh Venables.

Thanks Jay. Using Drafting/Note allowed me to create the note at an angle, too. Oddly enough, I couldn't pick it with Window to Break it, I had used a different color, so picked it with All/Color. Still the only font that's really suitable for the purpose is Stick, all the others result in inner and outer linework which is no where near as convenient for quickie engraving. Thanks very much for your time. I hate to think where I'd be without this forum. Much appreciated.

Hugh Venables.

• 6 months later...

I've been using true type letters (txt) for engraving just fine.

Use and engraving tool at about .005 dp and no cutter comp, pick the geometry with a window and your set. The cool thing about using true type fonts is now you can wrap the text aroung a dia.

Jim

NDT Engineering

Seattle Wa

Have any of you looked at the engraving package for mastercam.

I have been using it allot lately on some mold work.

It does a really nice job.

As for tools I use for engraving.

Carbide with a 30 deg side angle with a .005 flat tip. Sort of like a spade.

This tool works great on allot of material.

Cadcam ,

I also use the the new engraving addon for v9 , It is a must for anyone you engraves alot . I do a lot of electrode and mold work and the best part about it is how it can pick out corners of letters giving it a sharp chisel look using v-cutters.

One thing i don't know is how can i engrave letters on a convex or concave 3d curve and still sharpen the corners of the letters ???

[ 06-23-2002, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: savtav ]

Hugh

I use the trutype font "txt" as it is the only font that "I" have found in my collection of true type fonts that does only cut single lines, but that works out well for me as I engrave a lot of calibration standards that are disc shaped and I can wrap the text around the dia. I use a carbide engraving tool with probably a 60 or 70 deg included angle on it, I have two of them and one is 1/4 and the other is 1/2 round with no flat at teh tip. I run .005 dp 6000rpm and 30ish ipm. I cut alum, ti, stainless and inconel

Hope this helps

Jim

NDT Engineering

Seattle Wa.

Hi Cadcam, Did you get some time to look at my problem ??

One thing i don't know is how can i engrave letters on a convex or concave 3d curve and still sharpen the corners of the letters The letters have to be standing up like letter stamps. I have tried to project flat letters on to a surface curve but with no success. Any ideas......any one

confused.giffrown.gif

[ 06-25-2002, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: savtav ]

Hi Cadcam,

Thank for going out of your way to help me

From what i can see from gif file it looks like the letters are sharp ,but not very clear . Can you send the file to the ftp so i can take a closer look at it. I Had a rep from delcam come in today showing me Artcam pro v5.5 and it did what i wanted it to do but i would rather go with mastercam of cause.. Did you create the file using the ver9 engrave package adon ???? if so please explain...

Regards Savtav cheers.gif

[ 06-27-2002, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: savtav ]