Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hor 5-axis post

DavidB

I have a couple Vertical 5-axis posts.

Whats the best way to mod one of my Vertical posts to work on a Horizontal in MCX?

Now I'm confused is it the Machine def or the post that determens Hor or Ver machine?

I take the Generic Horzontal Table-table machine def supplied with MCX but I cannot add a post to the control def? MCX crashes everytime I try?

The generic 5-axis post does not give me correct code so how can I add a modified post to this machine def?

Thanks cheers.gif

This is so frustrating!

Why can't I edit a 5-axis post from V9 use the post update c-hook to make a new .MCD?

I keep getting 14 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:19 PM - Initialize processing the post

15 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:19 PM - Post processor file name: T:PROJECTMASTERCAM_LIBRARIESMPOSTSVXA66_5AXIS.PST

16 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - The keyword STARTBIN was found but the binary post file is missing!

17 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - You chose to continue.

18 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - Post version information (input):

19 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - UPDATEPST9 was used to modify this file.

20 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - The post was written to run with Mastercam Version 9.

21 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - The post product type is Mill.

22 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - Initialization of pre-defined post variables, strings, postblocks was successful.

23 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - The 'startbin' header was found but not 'endbin'

24 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - Search for defined post variables, strings, postblocks failed!

25 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:23 PM - The application has been aborted!

26 - 09 Feb 2006 02:14:24 PM - ***** End of update processing *****

V9 I could edit a post, select it post the toolpath, check code, make post mods.

This machine and control def I really must say I hate banghead.gif

This is from my VERTICAL 5-axis post.

code:

#Primary axis angle description (in machine base terms)

#With nutating (mtype 3-5) the nutating axis must be the XY plane

rotaxis1$ = vecx #Zero

rotdir1$ = vecy #Direction

#Secondary axis angle description (in machine base terms)

#With nutating (mtype 3-5) the nutating axis and this plane normal

#are aligned to calculate the secondary angle

rotaxis2$ = vecz #Zero

rotdir2$ = vecx #Direction

Can someone help me in what I need change the rotaxis and rotdir to for a HORIZONTAL?

Thanks

James for some reason all my 5-axis machines here rotate about Z=A rotary axis.

my 5-axis Mori and Makino both A axis rotates about Z axis (spindle) and A rotary axis is the primary rotary axis and the second axis is B which rotates around Y.

So in theory I should be able to take one of my Vertical 5-axis post then somehow define the spindle being Horizontal in the post instead of Vertical and I should be set?

quote:

Z=A rotary axis.

my 5-axis Mori and Makino both A axis rotates about Z axis (spindle) and A rotary axis is the primary rotary axis and the second axis is B which rotates around Y.

Are you sure? Normally C axis rotates around the spindle axis Z which is primary and A rotates around the X axis - Secondary

headscratch.gif

B axis rotates around Y axis so that sounds OK.

What is the machine model?

I've been running my 3 Vertical 5-axis machines for 3 years with A rotating around Z axis (spindle) I know it should be C axis but believe me its not.

One machine is a makino GF6 with a Fanuc the other a VK 45 with a Mori control they where running this way before I started here.

The pic you show above is correct for my Verticals except replace C with A (the purple rotary) rotates about Z (spindle) and the other rotary runs with Y axis, your pic runs with X axis.

So my primary is "A" axis rotates about Z (spindle)

Secondary "B" axis rotates about Y

Now take the pic and rotate it 90 degrees looking from right side view and that would be my Horizontal machine config.

Thanks all so far

David,

So if every thing is the same just layed over then all the settings you currently have should be sweet if you program as I do for horizontals

That is

Top plane = B0

Bottom plane = B180

Created plane = B90

Created plane = B270

If you wish to use methods two then the settings need to be changed

Front plane = Bo

Back plane = B180

left plane = B90

right plane = B270

So which way do you want to program?

If you want the change the matrix then you need to look at this part of the post:

code:

#Machine base matrix (Base matrix to map positions into)

matb1$ : 1

matb2$ : 0

matb3$ : 0

matb4$ : 0

matb5$ : 1

matb6$ : 0

matb7$ : 0

matb8$ : 0

matb9$ : 1

A -1 reverses that vaiable. I did this for a gantry. We have the same machine just each 3 spinlde haed is 180 from each other so you pick the MD and the post and good to go. Sucks in X becuase if you want to change you have to go into the MD and change the post back and forth verse the nice old of way of just changing the post but suc is life with progress. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

But I would read this section in the Post:

code:

# Table/Table spindle axis alignment.  This sets the orientation of the base

# matrix based on the direction that the spindle retracts when it moves

# straight out. A typical VMC retracts straight up in Z+ of the world

# coordinate system. The setting for this type of machine is 3(Z+). The spindle

# of an HMC typically retracts to the back of the machine. This setting will be 2(Y+).

# A nutating table/table is always set to 3!

spind_align : 3 #1=(X+), 2=(Y+), 3=(Z+), -1=(X-), -2=(Y-), -3=(Z-)

Seems it might help you here.

I usually setup Horizontal posts so that B0 is the Top plane. This makes ISO look a little funny, but I don't care. It makes more sense if B rotates around Y just like the cnc does it. These are the settings I use in a generic 5 axis post.

Horizontal: C around Z, B around Y

str_pri_axis "C" #CW positive

str_sec_axis "B" #CW positive

str_dum_axis "A"

mtype : 0 #Machine type (Define base and rotation plane below)

#0 = Table/Table

rotaxis1 = vecx #Zero

rotdir1 = vecy #Direction

rotaxis2 = vecz #Zero

rotdir2 = vecx #Direction

James I tired that using a mi and could not get it to work. What am I missing I want matb1$ = mi5 and was hoping to use that as a switch but did not seem to work. I did get the post ogive me 5axis and 3 axis output from one post and ws wating to also have it give me both gantries from one post. Maybe X will play nice with the Matb varaible using a mi in there. I will give it a try tommorrow and post up my results. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!