Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

splines

JSAussem

I just recently started to run X MR1. One function that I haven’t been able to find and I used to use quite often in 9.1 is the curve to arcs. I would use this to convert splines to an arc. I just brought in an iges file and I ended up with a bunch of nurb splines. When milling contour the mill jerks it way through all the little moves. Any suggestions on how to smooth it out would be appreciated.

If you want the old Modify-Break-Splines to arcs, use Break Many Pieces.

If you want the old Modify-Convert to arcs, use Edit-Simplify.

The "V9 to X Function Mapping" .pdf located in the documentation folder is a good tool to find where things are at now. Some things are a little vague, but for the most part, it's pretty good.

Thad

[ 02-24-2006, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Thad ]

I listed 2 options above. So far, you've only tried one. wink.gif

Edit-Simplify will do what the old "Modify-convert to arcs" used to do in V9. Every once in a while a circle or arc (hole) will come in as a spline. Edit-Simplify will convert it to an arc. This won't work in your case because you don't have an arc that is represented as a spline.

Break Many Pieces will do what the old "Modify-Break-Splines to arcs" used to do in V9. This is under the second trim function in MCX. This is used when you have a spline that you want to break into lines. This will work in your case. Instead of arcs in the corners, you'll get a bunch of tiny line segments. To avoid this, try the "new and improved" option 3. wink.gif

A third option is to create a dummy contour toolpath, with no comp, around the spline that you want to convert. Backplot this toolpath and select "save as geometry" in the backplot config settings. Now you should get arcs in the corners. Adjust your tolerance to suit. Also, make sure you have "create arcs in XY plane" checked off. It slips my mind at the moment where that's at, but it's in the contour parameters.

Let me know if that works, Allen.

cheers.gif

Thad

A big thank to Thad and Andy smile.gif it works!:-) I never tried it before, I'll have more control in contour than in spline, It would be better if I can break the spline at a location of my choice, like intersection, midpoint,quadrant....but it workds better than I expected, once again, thank you very much cheers.gif

Allen

quote:

It would be better if I can break the spline at a location of my choice, like intersection, midpoint,quadrant

Ahhh, but you can. Break is under the trim funtion in MCX. Select Edit-Trim/Break. On the right side of the ribbon bar you can select Break. Then on the left side of the ribbon bar, select "trim to point." Now select your entity. Select your break point.

Thad