Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cimatron demo

Mark H

Cimatron- am I right ion saying that company started as "WEBER" systems ? I used to work on that system ...god about 11 -13 years ago ....VERY powerfull system that worked on UNIX os. Very good software for the time ,we had variable programs built in and could do a set of bottom inserts for blow mould cavitys just by typing in dimesions and it would generate a complete 3d model ...just machine!!! It took a long time to write that variable program. If I'm not mistaken then WEBER became Cimatron...I think.

Dave

Dave,

Cimatron is not part of Weber Systems.Cimatron is developed in Israel.RB Technolgies broke from Cimatron about 5 years ago and now has become an add-on partner for SolidWorks.Weber Systems is developed here in a suburb of Milwaukee.I believe they have about 10 employees and their biggest user is Joy Global Mining Equipment

These guys will push really hard to sell their system, which is, like others have said, a decent software package. A while back, right when their Elite package had just been released, they were trying to get us to buy their stuff. They put me up in a hotel and gave me a week of training and then let us use their software, fully functional, for six months in our shop. As far as the CAD side goes, it has a very similar feel to Solidworks. The CAM side is very powerfull with irregular stock recognition on rough pocketing toolpaths and in between z level cleanup as well on rough pockets. The finish paths are just as good as MC (the salesguys kept saying they could blow MC out of the water with their paths, but I proved them wrong time and time again), and at the time (Im guessing we were at an early version of v9) they actually could spit out finished programs faster than MC. I dont know how true that is now.....They even will package in a graphical interface post processor building program (for an extra fee of course).

At the end of the day, no matter how much I liked the program, they didnt show me anything I couldnt do with MC that I just had to have that would justify the huge price tag that goes along with the software, with everything I needed included, after we had already invested what we had in MC. Maybe if we didnt have any CAD/CAM system to start with and we were looking for our first system to buy I would have had a harder time telling them no, but under the circumstances I couldn't feel good about telling the higher ups to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a new system.

Like I said though, watch out, these guys will push really hard and dont like to take no for an answer. Once they have their foot in the door, its hard to get them to leave...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...The finish paths are just as good as MC (the salesguys kept saying they could blow MC out of the water with their paths, but I proved them wrong time and time again), and at the time...

Often times they will compare features to features and not take into account what a Power User is capable of doing. Often Power Users are able to get software to do things the regular users don't know about.

Just thinking out loud.

Mark

Besides Moldplus there are a few tools,not to forget the new HST & Cimco Performance pack these 2 tools will blow cimatron and powermill away,anyone that uses those 2 systems can give these tools a try,and you will see a huge difference.Especially the adaptive cutting not powermill not cimatron will rough out a part as smooth or as fast.Plus it calculates as fast and lot of cases even faster.Try them out and you will see it yourself.

I used Cimatron .

It is not faster than Mastercam .

It has tons of bugs .

You need to select all the surfaces cause otherwise you `ll have a crash ,cause in some situations check will not work and boundaries too

For 2.5 axes Masterrcam superfast and much better .

Translate toolpath buggy.

No full assosiation with drilling and 3-5 axes

+1 for stock recognition ,it mostly works .

Mastercam is able to devide toolpath according to tool length too

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ckholder chook (alpha version)

Description: This chook will check one operation’s holder for interference with the part (surfaces and solids). This program is interactive and allows the results to be quickly viewed.

Input:

Source operation – select the operation to test from the operation manager.

Holder – select the holder from the source operation or from a library. Also used to define the library. (Holder library is under development.)

Preferences – Single tool – “Is the tool long enough?”

Choose single tool to quickly verify a path for clearance. This will test if the source operation’s tool length is long enough. This test will report the minimum tool length. Choose to add a manual entry operation, modify the operation’s nci data, or replace the operation’s tool.

Preferences – Multiple tools – “Stubby tool”

Choose multiple tools to create several operations from the source operation, each with longer tool lengths. You will be able to preview the results and edit/enter new operations. This allows you to choose the shortest tools for rigid machining. Also set the tool increment used to build the list of successively longer tools (the pending operation list).

Preferences – Manual entry – Choose default output type (1005 or 1006) and set the prefix and suffix for a manual entry.

Find minimum tool length/use minimum test tool length – Let the processor determine the minimum tool length needed to keep the holder clear of the work or specify the minimum tool length the processor should consider.

Test resolution – set the spacing of the grid that the processor uses to test the holder for interference. A smaller number will yield a more accurate result while a larger number will produce the result more quickly.

Test tolerance – set the tolerance used to analyze the surfaces and solids.

Holder clearance – set the additional amount of clearance you would like to keep the holder away from the part.

Perform test – once you have set the above parameters, push this button to start the interference test.

Reset – clear the parameter settings.

Output:

Test result and minimum tool length (if applicable) or listed on the ckholder dialog.

Plot safe motion – plots tool motion that is free of holder interference.

Plot unreachable motion – plots tool motion that has holder interference.

Modify source operation – Make changes to the source operation: add a manual entry recording the minimum required tool length, change the tool length (20007 record) in the operation’s nci (and lock the operation), change the operation’s tool (defining a new tool if necessary) and changing the 1016, 20004, 20007 lines in the nci.

Pending operations – Rather than modify the source operation, you may replace the source operation with one or more operations with the same tool shape but different tool lengths. The controls in the pending operations group box allow you to preview the operations before actually adding them to the operation manager.

Select… Use this pushbutton to display the list of increasing tool lengths. You may insert or delete tool lengths in this list. Use the tool length edit box to change a tool length in the list. Use the “Plot safe motion” to plot the tool motion that does not have holder interference for the current tool length. Use the “previous” and “next” pushbuttons to preview other tool lengths in the list.

Create – use this pushbutton to generate the pending operations.

Known errors/development limitations:

1) Placement of manual entry and newly created operation(s) is at the end of the list of operations (in the operation manager). With version 9.1, these operations will be placed appropriately before/after the source operation.

2) Regen of newly created (“stubby tool”) operations is under development.

3) Holder library is under development. The holder definition will be expanded to include tool extensions and complex holder shapes.

4) Ckholder works with views other than Top but does not (yet) handle work offsets.

5) Drill operations are supported, but only in the single tool test mode.

6) 4 and 5 axis operations are not supported.

======================================================================

Chook Name: ckholder.dll

Date: 18 October 2002

Programmer: CNC Software, Inc.

Distributor: CNC Software

671 Old Post Rd

Tolland, CT 06084-9970

Phone: (860) 875-5006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~```

dont forget the new hsm toolpaths in x they seem to hold alot of promise. I use them often and I seem to find something new all the time. Mastercam has spent alot of time and money giving users what they have asked for. It was alittle rough at first but if I have to go back and do something in v9 i feel like i have stepped back in time. V9 was good for what it was but VX just seems so much smoother for me. I am confident that mastercam will continue to be the leading cam system far into the future. The guys here and the support from the resellers have to be some of the best help in the industry.

• 4 weeks later...