Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MastercamX Demo problem

rdshear

Hello all,

This is my first post to the forum as you can see. (I apologise in advance for the length!) I will be training on X next week and one of my co-workers gave me the X demo to install on my computer. I wanted to install it on my laptop just to get familliar with it and to play with after the class.

I cannot seem to get it to install properly though. It repeatedly comes up with an error on load saying it cannot find MCBitmap.ocx and McLstctl.ocx. Both of these files are installed in the system32 directory under windows.

I searched the forum to see if anyone else had this issue and found a possible solution was to unregister and re-register the files using the X control panel applet.

When I tried this, the applet reported that it could not open the registry.

I am running XP Home on my laptop and could not find any info as to whether or not I can run the demo under this OS. My login has full adminstrator rights. I even tried booting safe mode to run the X applet (this is the only way to get pure admin mode on XP Home) and got the same error.

I have un-installed and re-installed the demo.

I even tried manually registering the two files with regsvr32 and still have the same problem.

Are there registry entries I can manually make with regedit?

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Am I just Out of luck? confused.gif

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rick

I've rebooted many times. I think it just isn't able to modify my registry for whatever reason. I know I can modify it manually, other programs seem to have no problem updating the registry as needed. I'm at a loss. I'll keep messing with it and if I get it going I'll post to let people know ... in case some other poor soul like myself runs into the same problem.

I do appreciate all the help,

Rick

reluctant to bring this subject up again!

I got a MCX demo from in house, installed it at home, I tried surface high speed toolpath,to generate to toolpath, I always have this error " unable to detemine a valid machining zone-no toolpath create" I also brough up a sample MCX file, It works fine until I regenerate the toolpath, the same error occurs.

Can anyone shed a light on this?

thanks in advance

Allen

I didn't think about the antivirus. I didn't get a chance to mess with it today but I will tomorrow. I'll try the uninstall, disable the antivirus stuff (McAffee) and re-install to see if that works.

I had already tried the un-register / register with the X control panel applet and that didn't work. The applet just reports that it can't open the registry even though I have administrative rights.

Thanks everyone for the continued help.

Rick

quote:

I got a MCX demo from in house, installed it at home, I tried surface high speed toolpath

I can't help you Allen, but it's good to hear that you can use the new highspeed toolpaths. I thought they were going to be left out of Demo.

Thad

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifcheers.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Success!!

I finally got the demo running!!

I completely removed Mastercam X demo from my system.

I then disabled Mcaffee virus scan, firewall, and even went to the msconfig utility and disabled all startup programs. I rebooted the system.

I then re-installed the X Demo and violla... success.

I'm not sure if it was the virus scan, firewall, or some other program that fires up at startup but apparently one of them was the cause of conflict.

Thanks again so much for the help.

Rick

AllenT,

quote:

unable to detemine a valid machining zone-no toolpath create" I also brough up a sample MCX file, It works fine until I regenerate the toolpath, the same error occurs.

This error is almost always due to a couple of parameters settings that need to be changed within the operation. Check the "Cut Depths" parameter.

For example. If your geometry is below 0.0" and the Cut Depths are set on Absolute from Z +2.0" to Z 0.0", that would be one reason it can't produce any toolpath. The parameter defined "machining zone" is above the actual geometry and thus can't be machined. That's one example of one parameter in a regular surface toolpath. The High Speed toolpaths are based on the same principles as the regular surface toolpaths. Examine your geometry closely and look through the parameters to see if anything in those settings doesn't fit with what you want to do. HTH cheers.gif

rdshear,

Glad you figured it out. I suspected the antivirus software from the beginning but I hadn't read this topic until just a few moments ago. Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll fit right in with all us "old farts" around here. wink.gifbiggrin.gif As far as the avatar goes, you'll need about 190 more posts before you'd be eligible (sp?). When that time nears, send your desired avatar to Dave Thomson (e-mail link above) and he'll fix you right up. cheers.gif