Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4th axis question

Müřlıń®

quote:

I am supose to be grandfathered in on multiaxis

Multiaxis truesolids verify needs an ACC file

to authorize it. It is not enabled by the SIM.

If you're grandfathered, you just need to hit

Mellisa up for a nex X version ACC file

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed that too about the verify and it won't let you spin the part around without it either apparently.

Here's an old old school of doing this maybe. calculate the circumfrence pi/r/2 and lay it out as a flat and do the axis substitution like John said.

maybe way off base, since my Chiante starting to kick in from dinner. Mine and the misses 16 yr annaversaary and we went out . cheers.gif

verify3.jpg

Woot....What a long day at school..

I had to quater up the drive surfaces and chain the individual chains and when it comes time for the inside you have to make a little positioning move so verify won't gouge the stock model....

X is totally awesum....If my post works this story will have a happy ending biggrin.gif

Murlin this is a bit of a highjack but since ya are making rings I got a question for ya I lost a ring that I loved (drunken night in a hotel went to take it off pulled a lil too hard and the thing flew ending up in the bottom of a toilet and no way was I stickin my arm in that lol) and haven;t been able to find one like that anywhere basically it was a pewter ring that was shaped like it was barbwire if you can make custom rings send me a email if you are interested and we will work something out

This one is just a practice one with Tolken Fonts projected on it. But Yes, we are going to be making "the power ring"(can't call it the one ring) also along with any other custom engraving.

We are going to be making the power ring that has "invisible' writing on it too that "only fire can tell" wink.gif that is our nitche biggrin.gif

Pssst..... don't tell Tolken interprizes....heh no... really we are working a deal with those guys too....we gots connections cool.gif

We have all kinds of Fonts and can also make custom rings with Elvish writing on them. My partner knows the Elvish language and can translate anything you want. It is not as simple as just using the Font, you have to know the language as it is alot like shorthand.

It is soooooooo complicated to get this stuff worked through though....who woulda gussed... headscratch.gif

Happy anniversary kinglouie cheers.gif

IMHO a part like this is best done that way. You can also do rasied letter wit hthe same apporach I did an example not to long ago showing that. The biggest reason I like Axis sub is code output. I get one A move for one place change and one Y or X move for each distance. % axis toolpath do some very cool stuff and are great for any surfacing for 4th axis but if doing things of this nature I like axis sub everytime. Glad you got it Murlin been enjoying family time alot more when home so did not have a chance to look at it, but you as always were in good hands.

Ron,

My original thought when I looked at this was to use axis substitution but after considering the surface he was trying to place this on, the axis sub did not seem to hold up.

Is there some way to use axis sub AND get it to follow the curved surface like this is looking to do?

headscratch.gif

Axis sub used to be the way we did something like this Ron and Jay, but I wanted a solution where you could verify it in graphics before you cut it.

We used to just sub in the post but you were driving blind.

Although backplot will work on these Fonts(MURLIN TRIES 4TH AXIS) where you can see the center path, you can't see the end result wit a specified cutter size.

When engraving specialized wire Fonts(OTHER tt fONTS WITH LOTS OF STICK CONFIGURATIONS) with a .01 dia cutter, you need to be able to look and see if the geometry on your fonts needs to be tweeked or the spacing adjusted.

Verify will allow for me to be sure that what I am doing gets done right, the first time out of the gate....

It would be nice if Xform roll would unroll a surface and not flatten it out, leaving the curved shape, just laying the circumfrence out flat. I had to use flatten.dll to keep from manually calculating the circumfrence. Because you need a visual of the area to be projected on in order to make sure your geometry is going to fit. headscratch.gif maybe it can and I havent figured that out yet headscratch.gif

In order to use the 5-axis path I had to manually construct a liniar curved surface, project the fonts down on that surface, and then use xform/roll to wrap that geometry adound an arc so the projection of the 5-axis path would be as close to the origonal font geometry as possible.

How did you project the letters on the circumfrence Jay?

quote:

The biggest reason I like Axis sub is code output

Well I haven't got that far yet...

I have no Idea how this is going to post...I will find out today sometime..

[ 04-03-2006, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Murlin did you tak a look at my file as I did this and did Varify on it. I made your part into a solid and set that as my stock.

John I took the Letters and projected them onto the surface then did a 3d contour and set that for Axis sub.It is so much easer in X to do this then it was in V9 for me at least.

Just sharing another way you guys have it under control for sure.

thanks guys.

I had true solids checked Jay and didn't see the verify. Turned it off and the verify on the axis sub looks good also headscratch.gif The axis sub crunches 1000 times faster than the 5-axis toolpath

X keeps crashing in verify on meh though.

I need to try to verify it on my box at work that has the Quadro in it.

Hey did you just use xform/project to project the letters?

I couldn't get them to project properly....

I need to take another look at that because that is the way I would prefer to do this... headscratch.gif

Thank you very much guys, I never did 4-th axis work the correct way before, I always cheated. and you guys have really helped me get started and I apreciate it cheers.gif

Chalk up another one for the Forum!!

[ 04-03-2006, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

I took the letters and centered them over you surface. at z0 then used the Xform Roll to roll them around above the surface.

Then projected the leters on to the surface by rolling the geo so the letters were rotated to the top plane and set WCS then =Gview to set that word up to project. just moved to each word till they were all done.

then just did window contour paths.