Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Haas with trunion

Fig sign

Hi ,folks !

We are going to purchase Haas VM3-TR (similar to VF5/40 -TR .

46729.gif

I worked once with Haases like VF1 and similar 3 axes machines in the past and have mixed feelings .

Nevertheless would appretiate every imput ,especially regarding 4-5 axes and trunion specific in Haas and to all the big and little things and problems you may encountered ,that may help me

easy migration to the machine

Hi Iskander, I just have one thing to say: Great machine, for production and not sooooo accurate parts. When I say soooo, I mean around 0.003 mm.

Just one tip, if your boss has willing to spend some money (not much), I would recommend strongly him to purchase the High Speed option. With this option, you can machine complex shapes up to 12700 mm/min keeping the precision, due to an algorithm developed by Haas.

The look ahead with this option is around 80 blks/sec, interpolation calculation time around 1ms with 3 Motorola´s 68030 processors, processing together 1000 blks per second. (The 3 Motorola´s processors and 1000 blks per second are standard features)

I noticed that you are in mold market, so I guess that it´s a good machine for a good price. The 15K Spindle with balanced tools and precision holders will make a difference when applied together with High speed option. Good finishes, in general.

The simultaneous 5 axis moves are great, with a good range of positioning. I worked with this machine in the past, and it is pretty good.

MPGEN5X post works fine with this machine setup.

Just a reccomendation: avoid as much as possible to use unbalanced tools above of 10K RPM. We scraped out a 12K spindle in 8 months due to ignore this warning. The balance class above of this speed is 2.5G

If you want to enjoy the potential of this machine for moulds, balance your tools and holders within 2.5G.

HTH

[ 04-11-2006, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Watcher ]

I use the HRT310 4th axis attachment with our VF-5, Been using it for about 5 years or so and I gotta say it adds ALOT of versatility to the vertical mill. I never had any problems holding +/-.0005 tolerances with it , although at times it might seem to act a little funny. Table rapids are a little slow. But over all, it's a good piece of add on. "IMO"

Daniel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I noticed that you are in mold market, so I guess that it´s a good machine for a good price

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Was in it for many years ,but not now .

Mostly general machining and prototypes .

As for MPGEN5X , will it work good as it is or a lot of tweaking need to be done ?

quote:

As for MPGEN5X , will it work good as it is or a lot of tweaking need to be done ?

Not a lot. You just need to set up the axis shifts and direction vectors correctly. If you need some assistance, I can help you. I don´t remember the settings and positive/negative directions of rotary axes by heart, but once you give us this information and the offsets (A report about them is included with the machine) is easy. Besides this, at FTP there is a Powerpoint presentation that instructs how to do it, and a million of "gurus" here to help you. (Hi Millman! biggrin.gif )

quote:

Was in it for many years ,but not now .

A moldmaker is always a moldmaker Iskander, and you are a good one biggrin.gif

Fortunately, Haas machines are good for both worlds, production and molds.

quote:

I gotta say it adds ALOT of versatility to the vertical mill

No doubt, Trunnion tables is an amazing add-on. I dare to say that I prefer them instead of ours DMU70V 45º Nutating tables. IMO, much more versatile.

Good luck dude!

[ 04-11-2006, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Watcher ]

quote:

Just one tip, if your boss has willing to spend some money (not much), I would recommend strongly him to purchase the High Speed option.

You are on luck man! I´ve checked at Haas website to see the options of VM3-TR model and this machine is prepared for mold market, so the High Speed option and a lot of another cool options are included on the machine price, including the Trunnion table.

It´s a good choice.

MPGEN5AX will do just fine for that machine. I would suggest migrating MPMASTER to it as well. If you get stuck any which I doubt but if you do email me and I will see if I can help you sort things out.

Get the Ethernet opition and the expaned memeory helps it run the big programs better having the bigger buffer. Get HSS opition bigger ball screws is the reason I say that espically with a trunnion on it. It is a you get what you pay for you want a precision 5 axis trunnion look to a Mori or Makino we have a Mitsui Seki HMC which has 35" cube of travel or a 630mm capacilty very nice but very expensive machine.

One tip on any 4th axis run an air line to the electronics on them. You want about 4 to 5 psi of clean dry air running to the box. This will keep postive pressure on the indexer thus keeping coolant out and messing up the electronics. You might ask how well most of them have air for the brakes so just tie off of that.

we have the same setup VF3 with trunion. works great. talk to Jimmy about a post. he has a good one

the thing to watch is tool clearance. a VF5 gives you 5 more inches of Z travel. I have to send it to the upper left corner of the table to be safe