Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solidworks files

Jeff the haas_guy

Our engineering dept is planning on changing all of our dwg files to sld files. I can't imagine why they would do this since we do 95% 2D work with MC. Anytime I need a 3D picture, I can usually draw it myself. We have MCX MR1 Level 2. I have tried to run contours from the SLD files but there are so many breaks in the lines it drives me nuts to try to contour all the way around. Would Level 3 help me?

Any suggestions on this?

If you can get by with level 2 right now, you might want to consider only adding the Solids Add-on so that you can machine to the solids and not worry about creating edge curves, for the most part.

we've used solidworks and pro-e for years with mastercam. it's part of the conversion process of a parasolid. Make sure u have the latest converter. just blank or move the 2d geo that comes in with the solid and turn it off. don't delete it. then create curve on edges and toolpath these. u will save yourself a big headache and be time ahead.

Happy Easter All!!!

haas_guy,

It seems as if you may be having a chaining problem with the lines, arcs, or splines (aka wireframe) geometry. The Cplane radio button selection that NuNu suggested is the same thing as "Plane Mask" in V9. This will allow a user to only select all the entities that are connected at the same depth for 3-D wireframe geometry. However, there is nothing that will make it easy to chain wireframe if you have multiple entities being overlapped by longer entities directly on top of each other. This is frequently a problem when converting a solid format file and importing the wireframe or "edge curves" along with the single solid entity.

What I usually do to avoid extraneous geometry is simply click off the "edge curves" radio button from the Options button of the File-Open dialog. This will then only convert the single solid entity. Selecting a solid edge loop is very similar to using a closed chain in Mcam. When solid geometry and nothing else is present, choose the solid chain button in the chaining dialog. Then click on the button indicating "Loop" in the pic below. You may find you will no longer need "wireframe" geometry if you follow these steps and work with it a little more. HTH cheers.gif

veaj2c.jpg

Haas_guy;

Are you trying to change splines to arcs in MC? Is that what you're getting at? It's located under Edit-->trim-->break-->break many pieces. Select the spline, toggle the lines/arcs button to show arcs, enter a tolerance and away you go.

I may not be on the same page here....but I know I've answered a ton of questions on this because this particular function isn't all that intuitive.

I hope this helps.

Hang on people- This sounds like a problem with how you are exporting the file from Solid works environment. There are options atleast in

- Solid Edge - and Im sure they must be the same in Works where you can export the simple line and arcs with the file. There should not be any reason to convert splines after you get into the Mastercam format.

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this the first time around.

if you are limited to level 2 you will only be able to work with two surfaces at a time to create toolpath. Why do I mention surfaces? With out the solid package like John said you will be limited to your level 2 version (create surfaces/from solids).

If you just open the SW file as a SW file in X you will be better off and then follow the above advice.

Haas_guy

In SW you create a sketch and extrude like you do in MC pretty much, maybe the little hidden lines are the sketch entities you're seeing which aren't necessarily edge curves.