Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids problem

I am drawing a nut. Obviously one side is threaded, the other has a hex. So, I have my solid all drawn up, without the hex. So I put a 6 sided polygon on the left side, go solids extrude cut, in towards the part by .45" and get an error;

Parasolid® Kernel Interface Error:

Boolean Error:

Operation would result in non-manifold body.

What the heck does this mean? I just want to see my hex on my model...

Any help would be great!

My advice man is to work with a profesional Cad system. No ofence to enyone but Mastercam is 10 years behind the market in this aspect(CAD). From my opinion Mastercam is still great because the CAM capabilities. But CAD..?!?!?! su..s. Is like in early '90. X is a improvement in grafical interface(relative to 9 who look like ACAD13) but the core engine have litle improvements. Everybody must realise that the CADCAM market is moving very quikly and software with the same capabilities(in CAM+CAD) even better then Mastercam are growing (see the bundle Solidworks+Solidcam). I think the "Mastercam" must reconsider the ideea of beeing a complete CAD+CAM system and try to integrate under a profesional CAD system (Solidworks, Solidedge, Inventor, CATIA etc).Look at Solidcam ..who know this company 3-4 years ago? Now is the most rapidly-growing CAM vendor.Why? Stabile (not like X) CAD fundation good CAM capabilities and easy to use. Except CAM capabilities what Mastercam have? I tell you zero bites file when you try to save your work. With this capabilities I understand why other software have such growing. No offence to enyone but I just tell my opinion.

quote:

But something must be done in CAD direction

I use SolidWorks for my CAD work and bring it into X as parasolids.

As I said in my ealier post, it sure would be nice to draw and cut in the same package.

If Dassualt were smart, they would bundle a light version of Catia inside SolidWorks and price it to compete with Mastercam, Surfcam, SolidCam etc.

That would really stir things up smile.gif

I could not agree more. I've been really disappointed with Mastercam's solids. Mastercam has had and probably still has one of the best surface packages I've used in any system and that includes unigraphics, cimatron, and several others. Their cam system is also topnotch since the release of mr1. But the solids capability is dispicable. I've never used a system that turned a solid into a sheet body when removing a face. Or a solid modeler that could not move a face and maintain draft and fillets.

The thing that brings me hope is that they have this capability in the parasolid kernel which is the same kernel that unigraphics, solidworks and several other reputable cad systems are using. But there doesn't seem to be any push to make their solids better. Maybe that's our fault for not demanding it.

milling man, If your outside dia of your solid blank is not bigger than the sharp further most edges of your hex, rebuild the curve and regen your soldi so where when you look down on the top you can see your hex and it is totally on the inside of the circle you made to make your blank.

Then. go to solid menu and trim/solid/plane/line and pick the cut of your hex one line at a time.

When you pick on a line there will be a directional arros asking you which side to keep.

You can flip this arrow and make your cut.

Repeat for other 5 sides.

Sometimes extrude will not work too good because of already boolean added entities to the solids cause problems.

Mastercam solids work fine if you know how and when to use them.

HTH

quote:

Mastercam solids work fine if you know how and when to use them

I can always get done what I need to get done with mastercam solids, that is true. But I could always get done what I needed to get done with surfaces too. That doesn't make it "fine" just do-able.