Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SURFACE ROUGH pocket

HEAVY METAL

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey lacky i,m going to pick your brain some more. the print i have that goes along with this job does not go into detail about size of the different fillet radii and draft angles etc . how do you go about checking to make sure you tool is making it into all the tight spots etc. my plan after ht is to try to finish with 3/4 ball minimaster mill on a long tapered shank and toolpathing the hole part at once like we did on the rough operation. i think this dia tool will finish 90% of the part except for the very tight spots on the ej holes and the shelf like step that is parallel with bottom of part. in your opinion is this the most efficient way. hope you have a good weekend . got a half day to put in today. by the way what is tavares close to??? i,d like to retire somewhere warm.

on roughing those funnel shaped surfaces a added a few check surfaces where i saw fit the main one was the bottom shelf that goes around part just below bottom of ej holes i didnt see the tool wanting to gouge anywhere else. dou see the need to use containment boundrys. i,ll put the file back on the ftp same name heavy die cast. if you want to look at what i did .

Heavy,

If you want to check a radius size, you can Create/Curve/Flowline on the fillet surf you're interested in and then measure the curve. I, personally, would get everything I could with the biggest, most rigid tool I had, and then step down from there to finish....the 3/4 sounds like a good start.

Tavares, Fl is just about 30 mi. North of Orlando....close enough to be convenient, far enough to be out of the way......LOL

I'll check the file lat4er on this afternoon...

hi lacky got a question about all surface toolpaths. what i want to know is there a way to force the tool to start at the tip of the tool on the 1st depth of cut instead of the full radius depth of whatever size ball your using. the only wall around i,ve found is to extend the surace.

hi lacky i,m roughing out the channels on the right hand end of the part and i created edge curves and squashed to zero level . i,m using this for my tool containment boundry. one of the chains is giving problems. when regen the surface rough contour toolpath i.m getting a error about the chain being overlapped,nested etc. with tool containment set to inside wheb i change to center i dont get error. i have anaylzed the chain and ran the overlap c-hook and cant find anything wrong with chain. have any ideas

i'll check for a small radius i.m guessing that it. the only way i see finish these channels is to edm the. there is a pretty tight corner at the top. also got any ides on the channels that run almost the height of the part down the side. only way i can see to machine theses is turn part up on side.