Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SURFACE ROUGH pocket

HEAVY METAL

i have tried something similar lacky but could not use the surface rough pocket toolpath and keep it off the pad surface. i got the surface rough pocket toolpath to work with dood file which leaves the whole top flat. my next question is what is the best rough path to use inside of surface rough pocket.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you asking which pocket parameters to use Heavy? If so I think the constant overlap spiral leaves a smoother finish, Be sure spiral inside to out is not checked. If your machine hase enough travel check plunge outside boundry to make your tool last long time smile.gif

Heavy,

Not sure why you'd want to not cut the pad surface, too. Notice in the verify that there is a small section right at the top that does not get cut. Set that on the table and use a combination of 123 blocks, screw jacks, shims, rolled up newspapers, or whatever else you have on hand to support the tabs left behind rom the rough cut. Place your clamps on the tabs and finsh the bottom.

quote:

murlin you talking about setting the minimum depth below the top surface?

ya but it didn't work...you have to add a couple surfaces where you dont want to machine.

I don't see why you would want to leave that much stock to hardmill off.

headscratch.gif The H series is very unstable in HT, but you should be able to put the block in a vice and even though it's going to warp up on you, with .03 stock, you should be able to finish the top and with a flat plate with 4 tapped holes in it and some shim tubes you can easily bolt it down and finish the back last.

But, there are alot of diffrent ways to get to the same place biggrin.gifcheers.gif

Since you can't use check surf or nested chains on pocket and contour, you can add some flat surfs and add them to the drive surfs group where you don't want to cut.

They dont need any sides at all just flat.

Sounds like you have it going on cheers.gif

You are wise to use caution on this piece. It will prol move all over the place in HT...

It's been my experiance with Iscars that they hardly ever cut to size anyway, so I usually leave .025 PS. If you are leaving grind stock for after heat treat I would lie to mastercam and over size the cutter OD so you dont have your grind stock plus your stock to leave on drive surfaces in "Z" post heat treat. I run the iscars about 70 IPM and .030 per pass on a pocket. I do recomend a Feed mill though for pocketing. But if you're more comfy leaving .050, you can ALLWAYS take to much stock off.

I would create surfaces (for saftey measure) over the ejt pin holes to keep from rolling them. Then I would create boundry boxes in the smaller places using the appropriate largest cutter I could fit and use surface finish contour. Yes in sections like you said.

HTH

BTW I was noticing on your file that all your surfaces normal inward, Not sure if it matters but the guy that helped me get started said this was a "no no". I'm not sure I have allways normaled facing out since. Maybe someone smarter than I can tell me if this really makes a difference. If you know heavy please advise?

Heavy if you are using a positive ground insert, the tool will pull more in the corners than a negative when it gets dull.

I usually use .03 when roughing with the Iscar, because if the insert breaks, it splits down the middle and runs out.

The Mitub and Ingersol ball cutters frap in the corners and you must utilize corner rounding in order to keep the insert good and run at a good feedrate I.E 100 IPM +.

I only leave .01 with the negative tools on a 40 taper and most of the time that is plenty of stock due to pushing off while climbing usually adds .005/.01 above the stock left.