Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SURFACE ROUGH pocket

HEAVY METAL

i put a file under the mc9 folder called die cast mold. i'm trying to come up with the best way to attack this thing. trying to rough with surface rough pocket. but i want to keep the top untouched or flat so i can finish bottom after heat treat. not having a lot of luck with toolpath. maybe best to machine sections at a time with the approaite surface toolpath. if anyone has time to lok at part and shoot me some suggestion i would be greatful.

thanks heavy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would squash the outer most wireframes at the botoom of the .237 radius (btw check the normal on those) create surfaces around those once trimmed and start surface rough pocket at -.001 sould give ya what ya want.

the first shape around the boss that is smaller than the part. I presume you just need enuff flat to parralell the bottom surface on the mill after heat treat. The first radius around that feature ( I believe it was a .237 radius ) I would squash to a 0.0 construction plane, then make a box of simple surfaces in the shape of that feature to keep your cutter off the (created) flat surface.

I would radiac and grind to length, 3 or 4 tubes to fit down into the boses and bolt it down to a plate to machine the back.

then clamp it up in the vice to finish the top. You would be able to run ndicator under the lip to check for flatness in vice.

5/16" bolts or even 1/4-20 would be plenty strong to hold it down.

Disc pad off the excess where the bolt heads are...

Heavy, uploaded die cast moldd00d.mc9 to mc9 on ftp.

I just modeled the top surface flat and created side surfaces. Do a surface rough pocket with this geo. before heat treat. Pick all surfaces as drive surfaces and start your minimum pass at -0.001 and then to whatever depth you wish. I think this is what you are after as far as an end result.

--------------------

IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT HOW ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE THE TIME TO DO IT OVER

---------------------

something i've started seeing come out of managers as oflate is this sentiment ...

"DOING IT RIGHT IS NO EXCUSE FOR MISSING THE DEADLINE."

ay rebuttle on this one ?