Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/t Predator products anyone?

Chris Rizzo

I am considering the same thing. I have not found much info here in the forum. Makes me suspicious when these guys are not familiar with it. My impresion is that the MDC is only providing graphs and tables. Desktop can collect all the info for you. Your machinery must have Macro b. If it does not it is not cheap to upgrade.

I have been with Predator since it was N-See. When Predator took it over everything was great; support etc. However, for the past 3 or so years they have gone down the tubes. Their support is nonexistent and their virtual CNC software has been at a standstill. I would stay away from them.

quote:

I'm looking at buying Predator MDC and editor currently, I would be interested in seeing what you find.

machtek,

I assume that quote you were having worked up from Cimco didn't meet your expectations?

I work directly with Jim Abbassian. He is the only tech for virtual CNC. Derwin left years ago.

I have called numerous times requesting the new version and I even gave the secretary my contact information so they can contact me when the next version ships. They told me they were having troubles with ATI graphics cards and they wanted to fix it before it shipped. I did this song and dance for 2 years. I finally quite contacting them. Maybe it is time to give them a call.

Predator v6 of Virtual CNC was not released and was in Beta for 6+ months before v7 was released.

Predator has changed all versions to 7 now of their products to be consistent in the coming years and will also use labeling as "DNC 2005 or 2006" to help let the end user know how old their software is.

Predator Virtual CNC is supported by several resellers / distributors through-out the United States and Canada. Depending on your dealer, they may not be the expert and refer you to corporate. In the past, support has been limited at corporate but changing now.

As far as Predator Manufacturing Data Collection and Machine Monitor, this product has been on the market for 4+ years and supports both software and hardware data collection. The MDC uses Macro B or alike to collect data through the serial connection on the CNC, wireless or wired. If the CNC does not have Macros or alike, a MDC Adapter (like a PLC) can be purchased to link several points on the machine, cycle start button, feed hold, on/off switch on band saw, etc. The cost of the MDC adapter is very low compared to adding Macros to the CNC typically.

Predator Desktop is included with the purchase of MDC Software which is the communication engine and more!

This is not the forum to post about Predator Products. For more details, please visit our website or call me. We are a service center and distributor for Predator Software & Hardware Products. If I can not help you, I will find someone who can.

Quote------------------------------------------

Predator v6 of Virtual CNC was not released and was in Beta for 6+ months before v7 was released.

-----------------------------------------------

6 months!!! yeah right. They have been threatening to release 6, which is now 7, since end of 2004. I have PDFs announcing 6, from Jim, dated 10/25/2004. Nonetheless, it never made it to market until yesterday 6/21/06.

Ya right as I had seen this last year and even an earler version of it the year before.

VBJB I am not sure what the issue is with you and Predator But I know it works and I have been using for 6 years now and also selling it for about 4 to 5.

So why not pay your dues and get the latest and give us a review.

Would you mind giving us a first name?

I hope version 7 is a lot better. I worked with Jim early on (2004) in version 6 explaining how we and many other programmers use G10 to increment a program. I even sent him examples of this type of programming so he could share it with his developers. With G10 you can increment a part down a slug to make multiple parts with one program and one coordinate. We are a production shop and we use this type of programming often. I always have to hand edit the program to get it to verify in Predator, since it does not understand G10 when incrementing a work coordinate. I hope version 7 handles G10s correctly. If this is the case I will be very happy. Maybe you can confirm if G10 is working in version 7 for me.

Like I said, I have been using Predator for a long time. I very seldom need tech support, because I know the ins and outs. However, if a new customer who is going to rely heavy on support gets the same service that I have received the software is going to be useless, because they will not know how to use it. Unless I receive better support, what do you want me to do lie and say I have never had any issues with Predator? These are my experiences dealing with Predator.

If it makes you happy, when I get the specs for version 7 I will think seriously about upgrading. I have enough knowledge of the product that I can work around its support issues.

Why do you want my first name?

[ 06-23-2006, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: VBJB ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Why do you want my first name?...

So we don't have to call you "VBJB", and also if you upgrade, the coders @ Predator can put a suprise in there for you biggrin.giftongue.gif j/k

Now you guys got me curious. My opinion of Predator has come from the service I received from Derwin and Jim from the beginning. I thought I was getting the best service they had to offer since I was dealing directly with corporate. How do the rest of you guys feel about the products and service offered by Predator?

I've owned Predator VCNC for about 5 years.

Its a good product, well worth the money.

My dealer recently moved on to bigger and better things. My email to Predator asking who my new dealer is went unanswered. My check for maintenance stayed unmailed as well.

John, sorry about the long away (wife surgery...) to answer your question I wasn't satisfied with the quote from Cimco. It was non existent! I was told the guys whole computer system "crashed" and he had my quote freshly completed when this happened. He assured me though that if I would forward my e-mail address back to him (apparently the crash took my address with it) that he would rush me a quote the next day. I e-mailed him back the 6th and today is the 25th. I like the Cimco products they include with Mcam (however spartan) but I get suspicious when I can't even get a response on a quote. I also find this discussion about predator very interesting

5AX, Have you looked at any other brand of MDC software, also I understand that if you change the right bit in the right parameter macro-b jumps to life.... if only.