Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis Circle Mill

Colin Gilchrist

Hi Guys,

Does anybody else do lots of circle milling in 5 axis? We do lots of circle milling with the arcs normal to a curved surface. Because of our process requirements we cannot drill these holes. They must be circle milled. Most of our part files come in with a surface and points that represent the location of the circle milled hole. In other words, the holes are never modeled in the part, just the center point location of where the hole should be. So what we end up doing is projecting the point normal to the surface and create a line at the same time. We use the line as the normal axis for creating our circle. What we would like is the ability to drive a circle mill in 5 axis using only a point and a line. The point would represent the hole depth reference point and the line would represent the tool axis vector. The user would then be able to enter the hole diameter in the operation dialog box. Would anybody else find this feature usefull? We are hoping CNC Software will be able to add this functionality soon. Otherwise we are considering writing our own NETHook to accomplish this. Let me know what you think....

Thanks,

Colin smile.gif

We did a lot of jobs same as you asking.

What we do:

Set up T/plane normal to line then Toolpaths > Circle paths > Circle toolpath pick a point. In Circmill parameter enter Dia in Circle Diameter box, Set the Depth = 0 and incremental

Pat

Okay, I might be way out in left field on this but here goes. Could you make a copy of the cylinder with the holes in it, scale it with the center being the same as the original cylinder, and then draw a line from the center point of the original hole to the center point of the scaled hole. Then set a work plane normal to that?? Just thought I would try, hope I didn't sound too noob.

Hey Collin-

Boeing Huh!..........I Have Been Working For A Composites Company For The Last Nine Months Doing Lots Of Circle Milling. For Nine Months I Wished They Had A Fuction Like You Mentioned. Like You, I Have Be Creating A Circle And Driving It W/ Curve 5-Axis. They Decided To Move On To Catia V5 Which Does Have That Option. They Are Still Using Mastercam, But The Design In Mastercam Is A Little Weak For What They Do.

Ps My Next Contract Is Down South (Unigraphics wink.gif )Near Lake Tapps. Give Me A Call When You Want To Go Out On The Tige (Boat)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you have the two arcs, you could use swarf and you don;t need to use T/C Planes. I do this on a regular basis.

Just another way of doing things.

Ok maybe way out in left field but what the heck I am on vaction. I am thinking the material is all the same thickness so if it is this might work. Well that is if the machine supports macros and plane mapping(may not be needed if you go back to the Vector Math diccusion we had a few months back). So make a macro to do the circle milling incremental then using the 5 axis drill as a point it should give you enough of the varaibles to set the vector angle then from there get code that the post if you set a certain misc vaule will postout the code in a certain way that will give you the sub program output and the needed line as well as give yoy a simple direct way to do this. I have a copy of macro for doing 5 axis cicrle milling at anyangle just needs certain infromation the post will do using 5 axis drill and done. When I get back to the states I will look for the information. Sned me an email remind me and I will see if it can help you out.

Good Eve,

WOW crazy^Mill...sounds complicated headscratch.gif

Swarf-it

You took the words right off my keyboard James!

+1

I use Swarf 5x for outer shell face trimming, no reason why it cant work the same inner shell trimming or 5x circlemill perpendicular to a dome or sphere center...HMMMM thas kewl, I just got another couple ideas idea.gif

Thanks again....gota go

Tony G

CNCme Engineering LLC

X Beta Site

SO Almost Employed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

-------------------------------------------------