Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Get an education

JAMMAN

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

salary

- This word is a mis-pronunciation(sp?) of the word SLAVERY! biggrin.gif

Except where I work. I'm VERY fortunate, the more I read around here the more fotunate I feel too.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I'm glad to have a job,with my limited experience since 1966-2002(I,m 46) Patterns-molds prototype, and three decades of night classes (not solid) ,thousands of shop hours,and an apprentice program ,then started programming in Mastercam V-one ,I trained a bunch of novices to give something back to the trade,and still more experience just to get thru years of programming with older versions. I am also planning to take some kind of VIRGIN 9 class.I am just now making my own products and I still have a job.So today I think I could get that $13.00 per hour job with total confidence, but I will leave it for the guy who completed the four day certification class.

Some words were missppeled intentionally so that it would be easier for us to read.

Bulliness,

I have receieved some in shopo trainin from In-House and I am very familiar with what you people do my question to you is how often do these 3 day courses start can I start at the highest level of design certification and what my chances of havin Allen "Mr. Mastercam" Brown as my instructor?

A word from the degreed

I got a degree, or at least Ive got a piece of paper that says I got a degree, but quite frankly its worth squat in a machining capacity, and less than squat when it comes to CNCs.

My career started with my apprenticeship where they got a new fangled CNC that nobody knew how to use, so I took it upon myself to read the manuals and tought myself how to use the machine and subsequently taught the entire workshop!... meanwhile all that college could offer was lesons in feeds and speeds that were all but useless and I could have tought myself by reading a tool suppliers catalogue.

I next went into university where they were failing to setup a CAD/CAM suite, since I was at this time a qualified toolmaker I opted out of the make and break lessons and played with their CAD/CAM system which I eventually got to work, produced a complete set of tutorial lessons for it..... only to be given back the same lesson sheets a year later as tutorial where I was supposed to be learning about CAD/CAM.

So at the end of the day two of the most respected training establishments in the country have provided me with a comprehensive education in both the practical and theoretical sides of CAD/CAM......

........THAT I WROTE MYSELF!!!!!!!

I've seen and "worked" with degreed engineers who can't tie their shoes. Especially green horns right out of school. Along with the sheep's skin come a big ol' chip and a tie that has "World Beater" embroidered on it. Those who aren't almost immediately humbled by the fact that they aren't all knowing usually end up in a Gjob plant somewhere walking around with a print under their arm or doing time studies.

To bad interviewers don't ask the question "Have you ever been hit with a hot chip?" and then ask to see the scar.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

quote:

To bad interviewers don't ask the question "Have you ever been hit with a hot chip?" and then ask to see the scar.

That is awesome! I'll have to remember that someday if I'm ever in the position to hire somebody.

quote:

Those who aren't almost immediately humbled by the fact that they aren't all knowing usually end up in a Gjob plant somewhere walking around with a print under their arm or doing time studies.

Man you hit a nerve with me on that ! I have seen many a work place with that type of moron walking around with blue prints under his arm all the time walking back n forth faking his way thru it all. I meet a enginneer once that couldnt read a basic micrometer. When he saw the shock on my face eek.gif his comment was, "" But i can read a digital mic"" rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifmad.gif

Oh well back to work smile.gif

KP

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: Kenneth Potter ]

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Particularly the nicely blued steel chip that makes it down your shirt collar all the way to the belt line - yeeeehhhhhaaaaaa.

how i got started. at 19, somewhere back in the dark ages, i got my journeyman electrician liscense. the building industry went poo-poo about that time and i got laid off 3 times in 1973. well i had a baby and wife andi couldn't afford that. so i walked down the street and applied for a job in a littel machine shop which turned out to be a mold maker and molder. that was early 1974. since then i have only been fired/laid off twice, both times for giving a 2 week notice. it's indoors and i don't have to dig ditches in the mud. so i'm pretty happy, except that now i amhearing i am about $10 underpaid an hour. urrrrrrr anyone up north need a solid moldmaker ?

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

Mike is right certification will help and the pure engineering types will have a difficult time pulling it off with the focus required. I started life on a bridgeport with a rotary table crossslide and ona good day a readout with a 2d part print and we made molds. I thank god everyday for MC. In my humble opinion there will always be a place for a good shop bred programmer. The years of experiance in the shop is not something a lot of degreed engineers are ever gonna do. I have a brother with a Masters Degree in engineering and I would never trade my chip burns on my little bald head for his job. I've always made more money had the ability to make a sideways career move when needed have never been stuck on someones corporate ladder without a specific tech skill to carry me. Schools a great add-on but it's no substitute for what you all do.

Cheers and chips

Chuck