Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

filter give bad surface finish

Salahuddin

when I use filter in surface contour toolpath I got a bad surface finish, especially on round parts and on the corners of other shape parts

this start to happened in ver. X, I used it all the time in ver 9 without any problem.

Without filtering I got nice surface but with longer program

MR2 installed

I am using filter ratio 2:1

Total tolerance 0.02 mm

One way filtering.

I tried to change a lot to work around this issue.

In verify , simulate tool, it can show me that the surfaces not perfect.

I didn’t read any one wrote about this issue, so maybe its only with me!!!!!

I have had this problem when fitting arcs to a cone that is not parrall to a axis. (for example the cone is rotated 15 degrees in a top view). Then arc fitting does not produce a good result, this was visible even in verify. Turning off the arc fitting and having a long program has been the solution we use here.

HTH

Salah,

Depending on the part you are machining the result will vary.

If you have a part that is straight the filter will not even have any work to do.

It's all about tolerances and machining time. You have to know what you want and then input the data to suit.

Hope thats clear.

Let me know if it is not.

In my opinion, verify does not always show exactly what you will get in real life.

I'm not sure why, maybe a graphics issue.

I prefer to talk about what the machine is doing.

Are you actually cutting parts or just verifying?

Salah

quote:

Total tolerance 0.02 mm

This is to much for a surface finish toolpath if a good result is expected.

Use 0.0005 Toatal Tolerance with 2:1 ratio and see how much better the surface finish will be.

I took a look at the post / topic and found this.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had problems recently on a couple of jobs when filtering/arc in surf. contour finish toolpaths. Cutter deviate in surface which represented as regular cone(so really simple) The surface finish is good with no filtering (long program). Arc fitting ,if properly done, should improve the surface finish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the faceting you are seeing is in verify it is likely a display artifact. i.e. its not really faceted, it just looks that way because display hardware has a really tough time dealing with curves.

In verify, you can do the following to improve the surface display.

- Click on the settings button on the verify toolbar (its the one on the far left) and drag the 'Quality' slider all the way to the right. THis will clean things up quite a bit.

- While you are there, put a checkmark in 'True Solid' over there on the left side of the dialog box.

- To check the surface in a particualr area, zoom in on it after running verify, then re-run verify. That forces MasterCAM to re-build the solid at a higher resolution, which will eliminate the faceting caused by display artifacts.

HTH.

lee, I got bad result on parts too, for that I say that you can see it in verify.

so I am not talking about video card issue.

I talked with my dealer, and he say that he know about this issue, so there is a problem using filter on round surfaces.

David, I used 0.002mm tolerance with filter.

and the result was bad too.

so even if I use 0.02mm without filtring, I got a better result.

as I said this is only on round surfaces.

I do not know what actually happened and I actually don`t work with VerX too .

But I had issues with filtering in ver8 and mostly in scallop -shallow .

Having seen some of your works I may guess you use revolve surfaces and solids .

It may looks stupid ,but try to replace revolve with other type of geometry and you may have better results (I proved it many times )

I will try that Iskander, but lot of the work I do I got drawings ready to make toolpathes on it,

so it will waste my time if I will re make it.

any way, that problem is onley with surface contour, I use filter for other type of toolpathes with very fine result,

right now there is a part on the machine for PET bottle mold, and I am using scallop with filter.

it make the program 10 times smaller(from 47mb to 6.5mb), and the finish is very nice