Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS info needed

elraiis

Hi Guys, am looking at some Haas machines and then when it comes to the tool holder option or so there is something that says CT or BT! what's what and what's each for exactely i dont get it.. anyone hint.. i know this may sound stupid but i donno...

take care

peace thanks.

Well there are little differences between them. BT have the same taper as a CT and it can be used in a BT spindle, but not the other way around. BT holders have metric threads for the pull studs and CT are standard. The biggest difference is the rididity the BT have over the CT IMHO. CT are more avaiable and have more options standard off the shelf where as BT seems to be limited here in America. Most of your standard CT spindle sizes and are also avaiable in BT sizes from 30 all the way up. There are some other differences but think that is a good overview.

In the US there are alot more CT toolholder available than BT.

BT holders are harder to come by and more expensive when you do find them.

The main diference is the distance between the

gage length and the toolchanger groove.

You can manually load a BT holder into a CT spindle or a CT holder into a BT machine.

In either case, the automatic toolchange will crash into the holder because the clamping groove is not in the right place.

If it were me, I'd go with the CT spindle.

A while back we bought a demo Haas machine that had the sales spec listed as CT 40. However the machine arrived with a sticker on it that said "bt" tooling only. Apparently it had been changed over to ct somewhere along the way, and the sticker hadn't been changed. You can tell for sure by looking at the toolchanger forks... If memory serves I think BT grabber forks sit about .5" lower, almost on the "floor" of the aluminum changer carosel. For a sidemount it would probably be the z toolchange position setting. Anyhow, you'll pay a few bucks more for BT tool holders. I'd prefer the more popular ct style.

If you'd like anymore Haas opinions before a purchase, I'd encourage you to ask them now. wink.gif

heyy.. thank alot for the replies... so in short performance wise they're both the same if i understood right and price wise, CT is better... so CT it is.

well i do have lots of questions before buying anything yes. But if i post them all here,, well.. that will be too much i guess.

So what i was thinking of is the VF-1. But the RPM is 7500 which is not soo good if u ask me especially if the machine is for production purpose i think. i heard about the Turbo holders or it was something like that.. that i still need to look up that can run up to 40000rpm or so.. but i wouldn't think that those would be any good for anything but finishing operation would they?

also the SMINIMILL was in mind. But although it goes 10000rpm, its rather a little too small and only 10 tool holders can be mounted on it. what u think?

thx

Well there is alot to condier when making a machine purchase. I would personally look to a different machine, but ont knowing the scope of the work you are looking to put on this machine it is hard on which way to tell you to go. The spindle speed is important if you are doing soft materials. The low speed will be more important if doing hard materials, but if doing hard materials on a 40 taper machine then you run into that drawback and limit as well. A 50 taper machine on alum is just as important as anything. They are making HMC with 15,000 spindle that are 50 taper. Not in the highspeed machining area, but respectable anyway. Are you going to get the ehternet? This option alone in my book is a no brainer. In problay less than 6 months you will have paid for this option in just saved time not having to DNC programs. If it were me and you are set on a HAAS might go ahead and look at the SS only thing I would not get the 12k direct drive I would get the 15k spindle more money but I would look for less problems. They may have addressed these by now. Great machine for the money, but yuo do get what you pay for.

HTH