Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drafting Stick vs MCX(box) font?

J Coulston

Does the number “1” stick font that is generated under the drafting notes look like a 7 to you? I had a customer complain that the 1 would be mistaken for a 7. If the parts were not already nickel plated, I would pop them back in and add an underscore to the 1s. I cant use the Create Letters as I need a combination of upper an lower case letters.

After reading more about TTF fonts and MC than I ever really wanted to know, I am still looking to see if there is a TTF font that replicates the MCX(Box) Font. RomanD looks good in word, but not in MC, it ends up a double lined font.

Do all TTF end up as a double line fonts in MC?

Is there a TTF single line engraving font that closely resembles the MCX(Box) Font with upper and lower case?

Can the drafting note be exploded so that they are comprised of arcs and lines?

Can you create lower case letters .MCX files and use them in the MCX(Box) Font

Is it be possible to edit the Drafting note font, specifically the numbers ao that they look like the (Box) font?

Have I ask to many questions about fonts?

Thank you,

quote:

Does the number “1” stick font that is generated under the drafting notes look like a 7 to you?

yes, I HATE it. Same thing here about mistaking it for a 7 on some P/N I engraved a while back. I forget what font I switched to to fix it though off the top of my head.

I think short term, I went in and added a line to the bottom of the "1", of course I only had 2 or 3 parts to do that too.

John,

The "Drafting (Current) Font" seems to have a good upper and lower for engraving, but for the #1 the "MCX (Box) Font" looks the best.

If you had altered the engraving try saving each number or letter as a seperate file for merging in the future and then change the size of it to accomodate your needs.

It seems we all think that the #1 looks like a 7

as you stated.

J Coulston,

quote:

Can the drafting note be exploded so that they are comprised of arcs and lines?

Yes. Drafting in Mcam can be "exploded" using Modify-Break-Draft/line if in V9. In Mcam X the same function is Edit-Trim/Break-Break Drafting into Lines. This function does the same thing however the resulting geometry is always lines, no arcs. An "S" will be a string of tiny lines to approximate the curve of the letter. Once the Drafting has been broken, it can be selected for toolpaths by using the normal chaining techniques.

Typically it's faster to select the broken drafting geometry with a window. When the prompt asks for a "search point", simply left click the mouse close to the geometry where you would like the toolpath to start. The cursor doesn't have to be "snapped" on any particular point, just close enough to the desired start point where it will have a general direction. HTH cheers.gif

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the number “1” stick font that is generated under the drafting notes look like a 7 to you?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also i hate this, but i replaced font1.fnt files from mcamx directories with the one from mc9, and the result is like v9