Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

angle accuracy

Bob Mikl

I am trying to cut a 15-degree angle using a charmilles robofil 510. Before the cut I completed a guide setup at the maximum angle of 10-degrees, switched to large flushing cups, changed out threading diffuser to 1.8mm, changed over to soft brass wire, and had Mastercam double check my part program to make sure it was correct. After all that preparation the part is consistently ¼ degree off. I can manually compensate for this error but I would think I should be able to achieve better accuracy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked you machine parameters for the guide hts? When I change guides on the Makino I have to reset the machine parameters after I establish guide ht to the table zero. This is not the program numbers. It is actually a number in the machine parameters which tells the machine where in Machine Absolute the upper and lower reside.

quote:

I completed a guide setup at the maximum angle of 10-degrees, switched to large flushing cups, changed out threading diffuser to 1.8mm, changed over to soft brass wire

If this is the exact sequence you used I think you'd get better results by running "guide setup" AFTER changing to soft wire.

This should definitely make a difference.

Matt, yes you are correct, unfortunately I did not list the sequence in the order in which it was performed.

I belive John has a good idea about double checking the guide setup with gage blocks, but I am having problems accurately figuring the dimenision because I need to take into account the guide holder.

bob, check the surfaces that your guides are mounted to with an indicator to make sure that they are parallel with your table along both the x and y.if they have been bumped, this would throw it off.i am just saying this because this

my second shift guy will run into something and not tell me about it.

bob, the last thing i know to tell you to do is check the numbers that are constant from your table to your lower guide and upper guide.these must be off, if you have replaced your guides or adjusted your upper or lower head in any way.reducing the tension on your wire will actually improve the accuracy of your angle at 15 deg.,but it would not be off that much at normal tensions.for a fanuc wire edm i also have to remove the upper jet nozzel if the angle exceeds 12 degrees.does your actual angle exceed 15 degrees in dry run in the corners if there are any

or anywhere else along the geometry?