Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Video issue

I have installed a new Nvidia FX1300 I purchased to too far back and I have got the say the performance of this card so far has not been inspiring.

I have more choppy motion, it's choking on solids on the screen, jumping all over, locking up, crashing.

I bouhg the card since most people and my resller swear by them.

Does anyone have any idea why the performance may be so inhibited?

Driver 77.56

Disabled front end buffer

are there any settings that perhaps I am missing?

2 things "seem" to have helped.

I turned off the unified back buffer in the NVidia settings AND I turn the hyper threading back ON.

I tried them indivually,

The back buffer was causing some screen move hiccupping and then Hyper threading just made everything a lot smoother, no crashed and hangs, yet but I haven't tried too hard with it yet either, so time will tell.

Well, the very choppy screen movement that I was experiencing went away.

I don't think it was directly related to a video issue but was lagging on the system performance end, which showed up AS a video issue.

I will say that with the ATi card, and Hyper threading off, the function was fine. So I wonder what the relationship is, that rewuires the hyper threading to be turned back on. I then tried to set an affinity for the processor and the bahvior was the exact same as if I had turned the hyperthreading back off.

[ 09-03-2006, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: John Paris @ Kevlin ]

The 2 biggest seem to be

#1 - In Mastercam, Setting >> configuration >> screen >> make sure disable front buffer IS

checked. Apply and save

#2 - NVidia Card, Right click on your desktop >>

Properties >> Settings Tab >> Advanced Button >> Click the Video Card Name Tab >> Performance and Quality Settings >> Unified Back/Depth Buffer, turn it off.

John

I should have been more specific. I am using V9 and I can't seem to find disable front buffer from screen/configure/screen. Maybe it's not a V9 option. Also my video card is a Nvidia Geforce G0 7600 and I can't find Unified back depth buffer under performance and quality setttings. The graphics are great but sometimes I get "artifacts" or trails from popup menus and sometimes when I backplot the tool doesn't always refresh in other words the wireframe tool won't disapear. Let me know if you can help.

Thanks

quote:

Also my video card is a Nvidia Geforce G0 7600

the unified back/depth buffer is not a availabe

in Geforce cards. Its uniquie to the Quadro line.

Try turning off all the Windows eyecandy.

Right click My Computer then Properites

/Advanced/Performace Settings/and set the radio

button to "Adjust for best performance"

That may help with the ghosts and such.

I set all my computers to "Best performance"

no matter how powerful they are. All the Windows visual effects burn a lot of proccessing and video power. The "Best Performance" setting

frees it up for useful stuff like Mastercam and SolidWorks.

I also set my Display Properties Apprearance style

to Windows Classic. I beleive that also frees up some video resourses.

there is one more thing that can help with ghosts

and strange cursor stuff.

Go to Mouse Properties/Pointers and set your Mouse Scheme to "none" and make sure

"Enable pointer shadow" is off.

This doesn't seem to have much effect in X one way or the other, but I've seen it solve problems

with V9, especially V9 running with low end video cards.

I am also using FX1300. I have noticed that after chaining something, like for solid extrude, when I hit the green checkmark the chain loses its color - in my case yellow. Sometimes only some of it goes back to the original color, sometimes all of it. Not a big deal, but definitely annoying. Is there any other setting that might affect this?