Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Creating Treads in Solid

Namliek_J@TheeCircle™

I would not recommend creating threads.

You gain nothing except a pretty little picture but it uses up system resources like there is not tomorrow.

I always draw the major/minor Ø and a dashed line to represt the thread.

I've tried to create a solid model of threads by creating a helix and doing a sweep cut. Unfortunately it doesn't revolve the chain as it is sweeping it around the helix. One thing I have done to get a model with true threads in it for verification purposes is to define a threadmill and cut threads in verify and saving the STL file of that. I used that STL file on the next operation to make sure all the depths were where I wanted them (and just between us it looked kinda cool too).

By the way, I hardly ever model in MC. Itry to use the modeling programs to model and the CAM program to machine.......just works better for me. I don't waste a lot of time trying to figure out HOW to do things in Mastercam when I've got SW right there, and its easier and faster.

But in the real world when I didn't have the luxury of both, I was trying to figure out all kinds of weird sh*t all the time.