Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

npt

smokey_44

I don;'t have alot of experince with NPT ,trying to do a 1/2-14 NPT for water line , I looked up the tap drill size and says .703 on 1 chart and .718 on another. The only drill I have is .730 dia ...is that ok ? I want to make sure I don't go to big and the fitting wont sit right. Can anyone please tell me if I drill at .730 I think it should be ok ???

Dave Ferraro

Its just a waterline ,I dont have a smaller drill long enough (or one at all that will do) Its on a cnc HORZ ,which I do not know at this time (lol) just trying to get the job done when the boss is away , So I'm not even sure I will be able to get a program goin on it or not , if not I was just goin to drill it manualy.

Dave

I'm kinda looking at it like this ...one of the charts I have says to drill @ .718 dia ...So if I drill .730 dia ,I'm really only over by .006 /side ..on a thread I don't really think that it matters all that much ,but I want to make sure that my thinking is correct ,I still think that it will seal off ok and everything like that ...Ps I want to "do it right" too thats why I'm asking if .006 /sdie really matters that much on a taper thread anyways?

Dave

Ok, I miked one of my taper reamers for that size and about where I would stop on depth, it is about .730 which means that your threads would be pretty correct near top of hole but shallow at bottom. personally I would prefer to drill it with a smaller long drill that you may have in stock then bore the thread area to proper size (if the pipe has a .5 i.d then a .5 drill will not restrict water flow, etc)...if $$$ part I would buy a drill.

Well its done , everything went fine and thanks for all the replies and advice ...I used the .73 drill and everything went fine , The machine is old (1979) SHIBAURA TOSHIBA BMC 8B ,ETA-17 SYSTEM-01 ,if anyone know about this machine let me know ,the boss says he is goin to get someone in here that knows the machine.

Dave