Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tangent 3 Point Problem

TeccBoxx

I was wondering if someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I want to create a tangent arc to 3 lines. I have done this numerous times in the past but for some reason I cannot do it here. I keep getting a Error "Cannot Create Tangent Arc"

So what I am doing in going to create 3 point arc, turning on tangent then selecting the three tangent lines. I have tried changing planes, and differnt orders in which to select the 3 lines all if I remember correctly I din't have to in the past.

Ohh and I opened up 9.1 and was able to do it with no problems, however I wpuld like to know what I am doing wrong in X MR2.

Thanks

Chris

Tried that Matt, the thing that is confusing me is that when I scaled it up it worked without any problems.

So I just tried something that relates to my problem I created the following

.25"x.25"x.5" wireframe box and then created a diagonal line on the top.

2.5"x2.5"x5" wireframe box and then the diagonal line on the top plane as well

I cannot create the arc tangent to the .25" box but I can create the arc with the 2.5" box

Any suggestions

Here is an image that shows an example. The image is the 2.5"x2.5"x5" rectangular cube however if you scale it to .25".25"x.5" it will not work

3point.jpg

Note the 3 red lines are the tangent lines and the purple arc is the arc that I am trying to create.

Also this isn't the exact part that I am working on, just an example.

Tazzer, are you sure you are picking the lines that are all on the top surface of the box?

I created a rectangle, .25 x .25 with a diagonal line through the middle. Create - Arc - Tangent, select the "tangent to three entities button" and click on the lines (two outside and the diagonal). It works fine with the whole circle and the tangent arc (partial) option.

Try selecting your three lines in isometric graphics view to be sure you are grabbing the right ones.

HTH,

Colin Gilchrist

The Boeing Company

X2

When you created your diagonal line, are you sure you picked up the exact endpoint of the box's lines? Open your autocursor configuration and turn off the "nearest" option. Make sure you are in 3D mode and if necessary, use "analyze entity properties to make sure all of your line's endpoints are in the correct position.

Both methods (partial and full arc) work just fine for me on a .25 x .25 x .5 rectangular wireframe box with a diagonal line.

headscratch.gif

HTH,

Colin Gilchrist

The Boeing Company

X2

Had similar problem recently. It could have something to do with sys tolerance (in my case end points were off by .0001 or something like that). Dirty way around it is to create circle thru 3 points but you neet to shorten the two parallel lines first...

hth

cheers.gif