Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc Data Server Help

Ocean Lacky™

James....should be able to FTP with windoze explorer, yes? If not, I'll download WSFTP or something similar. Not sure how to configure it...I was told there should've been a manual for the Data Server Option that shipped with the machine. Two months and many phone calls to Fanuc and Sharp Machines....still no manual. I'm totally in the dark on this one.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...James....should be able to FTP with windoze explorer, yes?

I've not been able to do it. I've ALWAYS been able to get Cute FTP and WSFTP to do the job though.

You've got mail.

James, Thanks again for the info. It got me about 10 steps closer to where I need to be. I can FTP INTO the control from any PC in the shop, however, I can't seem to connect to a PC from the control. Likely just a radio button or a check box I missed somewhere. Also...IE7 CAN ftp into the control, as well as WSFTP.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You have to setup a "server" somewhere that it points to via IP address. In that server you have to setup a folder that is shared. You then have to point the Datserver to that folderin the settings. Then you can "GET" programs from the server to the Macine. VERY, no strike that VERY point, you MUST have files in this format on the server "O0001", or O and a 4 digit number, no spaces, NO file extension. either of those and no bueno.

Glad you were able to get IE going. I was never able to (course, last time I tries IE 4 was the release so I guess I should have said that. biggrin.gif

I did set up a server with a shared folder. I was, however, unaware of the peculiar naming convention. We have been using the flash memory card and it reads the "myfile.nc" format as long as the "O0001" is inside the program. I'll try the new filename as soon as I get a few other machines running.

Thanks again for all your help

Nope.....that didn't work either. What's happening is when I select the "host" softkey, I have two choices, "Board" and "Embed". I pick Board (Fast Ethernet) the screen changes and I get a "Display Error" in blinking red letters in the lower left of the screen. I know this is the correct choice because I can ping in and out of this board with the ethernet cable plugged into the port marked Data Server.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hmmmmm..... headscratch.gif

Flashcard, RS232, etc... does not care about the file name or extension. The Dataserver however does. So you have some files in your shared folder O0001, O0002, O0003, etc... right? And you can drop them in the Dataserver from FTP right? Since that works, I'd use that method. biggrin.gif

I am in the process of setting up the ftp

to 18imb controls also

I found a previous post from james that was a great help

on the control you must have

the ip address of the conputer you are connecting to

also you must have path

for example

c:/cnc programs

press the (>)to get the : charater

also substute with /

You can load 8.3 type files on the dataserver. We just use "obsolete" computers at the machine site to ftp the files in. I haven't tried to load the dataserver through the control but IMO drag and dropping files thru a pc beats going through about ten soft keys and possibly having to change the I/O channel. You also have unlimited directories to choose from.

I have Filezilla server setup on my PC that points to network file directories for send and recieve (different dirs). I don't have any problem seeing extensions, and although we normally don't use extensions, a file w/ext. can be loaded, because you are fetching by file number, not file name.

When progs are punched by control, the filename is saved as "O"xxxx, xxxx being the program #.

We don't "send" them to the machine as much as "pull" the into the machine.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I have Filezilla server setup on my PC that points to network file directories for send and recieve (different dirs). I don't have any problem seeing extensions, and although we normally don't use extensions, a file w/ext. can be loaded, because you are fetching by file number, not file name...

You talking about a Dataserver here? Fanuc Manual B-63354EN/03 page 159 specifies that;

quote:

DNC operation by a subprogram call (M198) in the storage mode

Procedure

1) Place the CNC in MEM mode.

6) An automatic operation is performed based on the NC program

containing the M198 command.

NOTE

2)
The file name of the subprogram to be called by DNC operation by a

subprogram call (M198) must be Oxxxx.

You can load a file with extensions (8.3 format)with one or more programs within that file into the dataserver. You would read the file into the control "active" memory and run from there. If you're going to call subprograms from the dataserver they would need to be O1234 style file names with only a single program within that file.