Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc Data Server Help

Ocean Lacky™

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...why would you need to sub call from data server? We just run the programs off the server...

Speed. When you run from M198 (as sub call), the machine runs as though the program was in main memory. The only draw back to this is you cannot edit programs in the dataserver at the control.

When you run programs that are tens of Megabytes (or larger), the LAST thing you want to be doing is running DNC over a network. I've seen instances where Network traffic disturbs the data and CRASH... eek.gif on more than one occasion, AND at more than one company.

Usually for my username and password I would use the model of the machine or the machine's number - same for both, that way there's some security.

• 3 months later...

To restart this thread...

I want to run (sub to) a full macro production program from the dataserver. All the subprograms will be in the the same directory as the main data server program. I need to start from the main memory which contains the pallet variables information program.

First, is this possible? If it is, when I get into the dataserver program will I need to change the M98 calls to M198 even with the subs in the same directory?

Edit: Fanuc 18iMB control

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yes. Anytime you're calling to a Dataserver, you need to use M198, unless the sub calls reside in machine memory, in which case you would make the initial M198 call to the Dataserver, then when you wnat to get to the others you would call M98. Remember your nesting levels. The initial M198 counts as one level.

If all programs reside on the Dataserver, ALL your calls will be M198.

HTH

All of this makes me laugh...Fanuc and their dataserver is a JOKE compared to a 840di. I have both, and there is no questions of preference as to which is easier.

Try coping a file off a memory card to the dataserver.....try editing the file in the datasever...try restarting a program without line numbers with dataserver...try having a file name that is somewhat descriptive (not O1234)...I can come up with many, many more reasons why I hate Fanuc and their fancy memory card....

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

For EVERY reason you can give why you don't like Dataservers I can give you a reason why I don't like PC based controls. It comes competely down to personal preference and what you need. Now, the functionality on Dataservers that are on 31i Controls is greater than on previous models. You CAN edit programs on the Dataserver. Not sure about program restarts. I do know you do need a line number ot go to though. Personally I don;t think that's a limitation because it's a breeze to add one if you need onw. I have a custom post that adds line numbers between toolpath operations that share the same tool so restarts are a breeze for me because I can just set a MACRO variable to a 1 and it will jump to the right section using a GOTO already generated by the post. You just have to know how to manipulate the machine to do what you want it to do.

quote:

...Try coping a file off a memory card to the dataserver...

Ethernet SHOULD be the communication method between outside sources and the Dataserver. It works quite well in my experience.

quote:

...try having a file name that is somewhat descriptive (not O1234)...

The first line of the program (next to the "O" number you can put a title there (in parentesisi)and it will show up in the Directory on the Dataserver.

Memory cards sure SMOKE RS-232, Ethernet pretty much does a great job as well.

Let's talk in 10 years about your 840di... IF the HDD is still running by then. There is an inherent supeiority to Solid State Memory as opposed to Magnetic Platters, namely no moving parts. Solid State's MBF (mean between failure) compared to HDD's... big difference.

A company I used to work for had MANY Cincinati machines and the Maintenance guy kept spare HDD's around... for good reason. You may not see it in 5 years, but you keep those machines around long enough and YOU WILL see failure, and mark my words, that failure will come at the most inopportune time. Now, I'm not saying the Fanuc Control/Dataserver is more powerful because to be honest, it probably is not the most powerful, feature packed control, BUT what I AM saying it is BY FAR THE MOST RELIABLE CONTROL/DATA STORAGE - BAR NONE (in my experience) - PERIOD on the market.

JM2C

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...