Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

dwg problem

PeterM

I just got some dwg files that I am unable to open in Mastercam. I can see the thumbnail in the preview window but I get nothing when I convert. I also tried it in m9 to no avail. I have placed the three zip files onto the FTP site in the files to be converted to mc folder. I was wondering if anyone out there can answer why I cannot open those files(unzipped). I've allways loved the range and power of mcams standard converters and this is the first time that I've had a problem. Thanks

Most likely there are only paper space entities in the file and (by default) we're importing them as blanked.

You can either ...

1) read in the file and then go to Screen/Unblank and select everything; or,

2) before reading in the file, go to Settings/Config/Converters and uncheck "blank paper space entities in DWG/DXF files"

3) after selecting the file but before clicking 'ok' or hitting 'enter', use the 'Options' dialog and uncheck "blank paper space entities"

Most AutoCAD files contain Model and Paper space entities - we use blanking to help you keep them separate.

If there are only named layouts in the file and no "model space" or "paper space" entities in the file, then you probably will get nothing. We have not yet worked out a mechanism for handling multiple named layouts (but we're working on them). We may end up dumping them to separate MCX files.

I'll take a look at the files and see if there's any other help I can give.

----

"...It sounds like these are MCAD Assemblies. Is this what would be expected when you tried to import a dwg assembly?..."

----

Could be, though I don't know much about them and I do know that MCAD can save multiple 3D Solids in as single file.

I also know that we cannot import the data from external references. And in this case, we don't have access to the referenced file so it's hard to say what to expect.