Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

4 Axis substitution

herricam

Ok. after re-reading your post I think I gave you the wrong info you were looking for. In version 9 the way I do this is by setting the tool plane in the T/C Plane settings to whatever the radius of the part you are cutting and the depth to the same number only negative. For example, on a 3" diameter part the tool plane would be set at 1.5" and the depth would be set at -1.5". Then when you post, the program should come out with the "z" going to 0 instead of 1.5".

Well you are going at it the old school way. Z0 to the center is all I every do for 4th axis work VTC or HMC method. I think axis sub only work correctly from center of the part. If you try to axissub from a point outside of the Dia I think Mastercam will get lost. I always got from center when doing axis sub and not sure the results you would get doing it the way you are talking about. Also when using C-planes to control your A axis output you should always work from the center of the rotation to make sure you get the desired results. If you would like ot share the file I am sure someone can point you in the right direction.

HTH

Thanks for all the advice,

Our Workshop is in Salisbury on the south side,

I would be glad to share the file if it's going to help, I'm starting to think I will have to do it from the centre. The thing is I don't want to change the rotation point from being the centre just want zo not to be the centre.

ps. how do I share the file on the ftp site?

lol ... I had to do this just today. Leave the Z axis at zero. Then just define your top of stock. Presuming the part is round, this will be the radius. Then define the depth of cut.

I used this in a 2D contour and while it looked goofy in verify and backplot it worked wonderful on the machine.

Sambo

Ok what do you have in for your top of stock?

Depth? are they Incremental or Absolute? You can email me your file and I will be glad ot put it on the FTP if you can not get it to work. I also have the FTP as my netwrok place on my computer so I do not have to hassle with FTP to go to it.

Oh yeah welcome to the Forum!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Salisbary eh?

Not too sure if im familiar with that territory

Isnt that somewhere south of Mooroka or north of Coopers Plains?

no wait tis west of Mt Gravatt or is that east of Sherwood

headscratch.gif

j/k mate wink.gif I used to work at EGR there

You need to put that file on the ftp site or email it to Ron or myself and we can better assist you with your problem

I would pick Ron first though he was the first to offer wink.gif

I'm just up the road from EGR in Tarragindi rd

I've emailed the file to Ron, it dosen't seem to matter what values I put into top of stock or feed plane, incremental or absolute it still works from the centre of the cylinder. I think this is just the way I will have to do it.

Ok I see a couple things wrong with this operation.

1: you can not have your retract lower than your top of stock. 10mm for retract and 18.064mm for your top of stock.

2: You have your depth set at -.05 absolute so if you go from the center of the part where and that is Z0 you will get have nothing left on the clyinder. I am thinking you want -.05 incremental.

OK so I am thinking maybe you do not have a clear understanding of absolute and incremental. Absoulte is what it means and you are an absolute distance from Z0. So if you say 10mm you are 10 mm away from Z0. Where as if you say 10mm retract incremental you are retracting 10mm away from your top of stock. By looking at the code below I think you can see what I am talking about.

code:

%

O0( 34MM AHS WB 500 )

( DATE=DD-MM-YY - 17-01-07 TIME=HH:MM - 05:13 )

( MCX FILE - C:MCAMX2MCXMILL34MM AHS WB 500.MCX )

( NC FILE - C:MCAMX2MILLNC34MM AHS WB 500.NC )

( MATERIAL - ALUMINUM MM - 2024 )

( T7 | 1. FLAT ENDMILL | H7 )

N100 G21

N110 G0 G17 G40 G49 G80 G90

N120 T7 M6

N130 G0 G90 G54 X17.6 Y0. A-180. S4500 M3

N140 G43 H7 Z46.128<-- RETRACT INCREMTNAL 10MM

N150 M8

N160 Z38.128<--- 2MM INCREMENTAL FEED PLANE

N170 G1 Z18.014 F100. <---- -.05MM INCREMTNAL FEED PLANE

N180 A180. F500.

N190 G0 Z28.014

N200 Z46.128

N210 X20.6

N220 Z38.128

N230 G1 Z18.014 F100.

N240 A-180. F500.

N250 G0 Z28.014

N260 Z46.128

N270 X21.6

N280 Z38.128

N290 G1 Z18.014 F100.

N300 A180. F500.

N310 G0 Z28.014

N320 Z46.128

HTH

I see how you came to this conclusion but yes I do understand absolute and incremental, the program you have posted is still not what I'm trying to achive. I want my retract to be Z10. feed plane to be Z2., and my top of stock to be Z0. I now believe this is not possible to do when using axis sub. Thanks for the help.