Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Advanced 5X tutorial question

gcode

I'm working my way through the Advance 5X tutorial

that can be found in the documnets folder.

The sample file being used is impleller.mcx

located in Documents/Examples.

On page 106 they tell you to chain the

Tlit Curve and on 107 there is a tip on how to create this curve.

My question is, how do you create the surface normal mentioned in the Tip on page 107

TIA

In the example, they translate a curve

along the surface normal.

The goal is to make a copy of the edge of a vane,

rotate it to the center of the floor bewtween 2 vanes, then translate it up in Z, normal to the surfce.

Then it can be used to control the tilt of the spindle as it moves along the surface.

The tranlate normal to the surface is the part I'm having trouble with.

ahhh...try this ...create flowline curves on the surface say .1 apart as the default prompts you in both directions ..then in turn create a wcs using the intersect of the curves in approximately the center of the surface and translate the curve from there in the z direction

another way is to create and offset surface from the original surface and make flowline curves on the offset surface ...but use number instead of chord height...try 3 or 4 ...which ever suits your surface best

gcode.jpg

does that help?

[ 01-20-2007, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Jack Neelands - Rho-Can Machine. ]

I'm trying to do create the tilt curve line in

this sample file

TILTCURVE.jpg

using the instructions from the Advanced5x tutorial

tip.jpg

I've been trying to translate normal to the floor surface, but nothing I've built looks anything like the magenta curve.

Both of these files are in the Documnents folder

of a standard X install

so your trying to rotate 22.5 degrees using the center of the impeller as your rotation and then translate it a distance in relation to the surface normal ...

would you not have to create a plane for it to be translated as the surface is 3D and there is no flat other then 3 of the 4 corners of the surface that you could pick?

GCODE3.jpg

this is translated in relation to the surface normal of this irregular surface...there are 2 lines that i created at intersections on the flowline curves to make the plane

I will admit that creating curves to irregular surfaces can be tedious but it necessary as in the example below of a job i do all the time at work ...every month i get a new revision with something like this...note the blue curve is from the surface normal.

yodeshi2.jpg

I think that the Pdf file needs to be a little more detailed

Im sure it was done in Mastercam ...heck it took me 10 min just to rough up that version of my own impeller in the demo version that I have at home ...to finish it off all I have to do is rotate it and then trim it all to an arc biggrin.gif

Hint ..look at the time difference from my 2 replies...9:15...9:29....mind you i did have to load them up on to photo bucket.. wink.gif