Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

divide function

John13

Is there an option somewhere to make the divide function work like V9, where you needed to select the dividing entities? Now, it divides to the nearest intersections meaning that I then need to go and trim the rest of what I need to get rid of. Not that it takes a lot of time, or is a PITA to do, it would just make more sense to get rid of the uneeded geometry in 1 op, instead of 3. I don't mind change, I would just like this as an option if possible.

And no, I'm not going to go back to V9, (AKA Kannon land) tongue.gifrolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

Alright Keebler..........................................post a picture...........................................I do agree with Matt, I like ver X better than ver 9 ...............................................I'll look again when I get to work. Someone will probabely answer you B4 I get a chance, but that's what makes this forum so great.

cheers.gif

If you're only getting rid of entities between 2 intersecting entities, then X is faster because it can be done with one click. If you're getting rid of entities that intersect multiple entities, then V9 was (probably) less mouse clicks.

X can take a minimum of one click while V9 will always take 3 clicks.

The way divide works as a trimming/delete feature (just click what you don't want and it's gone) far outweighs the added mouse clicks...in my book.

Thad

quote:

If you're only getting rid of entities between 2 intersecting entities, then X is faster

agreed, however, I usually have to divide lines that intersect a LOT of other lines. (cavities in a connector housing) which means I have to divide, and then trim each line to where I wanted them divided from. I don't have a problem doing it as much as I was curious if there may have been an option where I could select my dividing entities. I don't divide like this all day, so I'm not concerned about mouse clicks and saving time.

example: divide.jpg

I want to divide the horizontal red line between the vertical red lines. I select divide and whatever cavities I get closest to, thats the .0263" of line I divide, I then I have to trim the remaining horiz. red lines to the vert. lines.

Now do you see where I'm coming from/ There's no problem the way it works, it's just my situation that the old way worked more conveniently for me in this situation.

quote:

John, are you confusing the cornboys again?

You make it sound as if your surprised. biggrin.gif

btw, Midwest what the heck where you doing posting at that time in the morning. :sheesh:

quote:

Now do you see where I'm coming from

I know exactly where you're coming from, John. Some people gained with this change and some people lost. Unfortunately, it looks like you lost. frown.gif

Depending on the situation, you can do a divide at the end entities, then just delete the remaining middle piece.

Thad

John,

I'm in agreement with SPAN and Thad. YOu could separate the geometry before trying to Divide it. Either use Colors and Hide what you don't want to see, or use Levels and place all the little cavities on one and your red lines on another. Turn off the visibility of whatever Level you don't need and "Viola!" Divide will do exactly what you want. Or the method Thad described with this statement: "Depending on the situation, you can do a divide at the end entities, then just delete the remaining middle piece." will also work. It may even be a little quicker than separating the geometry. "There's more than one way to skin a cat". HTH cheers.gif

quote:

btw, Midwest what the heck where you doing posting at that time in the morning. :sheesh:

Woke up with a cough, from meh cold.

After I posted I started to worry about telling you to post a picture..................With the new picture posting rules..............

Looks like you got some help B4 I could reply.

Once you trim one, could you use Xform translate????

cheers.gif