Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis cuts in 4 axis format with a 4 axis post

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has noticed any post limitations when doing 5 axis cuts in 4 axis format with a modern mpfan / mpmaster post on a Vertical or Horizontal mill with X2.

I have done some stuff a long time ago in V9 and it worked fine so I believe that it should be fine but I have not ran code on a machine tool yet.

Has anyone done this type of work with the new Advanced Multiaxis?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

• 1 month later...

You have to set up a false axis in the machine

definiton to make 5X cuts work on a 4axis machine.

Otherwise, the toolpaths backplot correctly

but all the posted output is relative to the top plane.

I've got the files and details at home.

I'll see if and can find them and post more this evening.

Alvaro,

The problem I was having was when doing a Five axis cut in four axis format with an X2 post it would not work. If I used an updated 9 post with the CD/MD set up the same it would.

What we got from CNC's post department was that it was a bug in the post which just a one line change. I tried it and it worked. The fix was supposed to be in MR1 (mpfan). Run a compare and see. Let me know if you need it. I am on a hot job so I must go

Mike

Same here. We are currently using a v9 updated post on our 4x horiz Mori. At first we had the same prob. rotation was locked on A. Changed the machine def then worked fine. Can you share the fix? I would like to switch to the newer defs and posts.

Thanks

Here are the fixes for Generic Fanuc 4X Mill.pst The fixes are supposed to be in MR1. The additions are in bold.

# CNC 10/06/05 - Changed parameter read for min_speed, modified pspindle, pprep$ and pset_mach

# - Modified pset_rot_label to use srot_y for horizontal machines

# - Added call to pset_mach in pq$ to set rotaxtyp$

# CNC 11/18/05 - Added psynclath with call to pset_mach to set rotaxtyp$, removed call from pq$

# CNC 02/03/06 - Added logic for high-speed toolpath tool inspection (see prapidout & plinout)

# CNC 06/26/06 - Initial post setup for Mastercam X2

# CNC 12/15/06 - Modified pset_mach for horizontal rotation when rotating about world Z axis.

#

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Features:

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

# This post supports Generic Fanuc code for 3 and 4 axis milling.

# It is designed to support the features of Mastercam X Mill.

rd_mch_ent_no$ = syncaxis$ #Retrieve machine parameters based on current axis combination - read from .nci G950 line

rd_md$ #Read machine definition parameters - calls pmachineinfo$

#We only need these set at toolchange (and start of file). No need to set them each time a user may call rd_md

rot_on_x = rot_axis

if not(vmc) & rot_on_x = 3, rot_on_x = 2 #If HMC and rotating about world Z axis (machine Y axis)

rot_ccw_pos = rot_dir

index = rot_index

if rot_angle = zero, ctable = one #ctable zero will produce a divide by zero error, so force to one if zero in MD

else, ctable = rot_angle

if met_tool$ = 1,

Mike

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You HAVE to do things new school, eg. Front = B0, Right Side = B90, Back = B180, Left Side = B270, etc... curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gifbs.gifbs.gif

If you don't use this setup, you'll have issues.

Well you would have to know that James for years did his like a VTC set-up in Mastercam and before MD it did not matter since they have Machine Definitions you can not get away with that so when doing 4th have HMC work correctly from Mastercam you have to d oit like looking at the machine. Like using front for A0, Right for B90 like he was saying. James and others I have known did it as Top was A0 on the HMC and Front was B90 and so forth. This worked and when changing from a VTC to HMC with the same file you never had problems. Now if doing 4th axis work between machines you either need to do it 2 ways or use a WCS for one set of operation and then copy the operation and use another.

What I have been doing for a files that are posting for different machines is make the file for the machine then add several machine defs and the copy the operation to each one update as need to and go from there.

HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...So james you program the 4th in the old style...

I did... up until WESTEC. When I tried to do some Simultaneous 4 Axis stuff(with a 5 axis toolpath) for a demo... found out I had to change my old ways (which BTW I'm not happy about because there's NOT A SINGLE GOOD reason why I should not be able to do it the old way which is BY FAR more flexible). But it is what it is. I'm not taking it as a slam against me. You new school guys should be telling me get with the program ya friggin old timer!!! biggrin.gif

I like Top as B0, Create a plane for B90, Bottom as B180, and Create a plane for B270. That way it is in the system as it is in the machine, AND i can easily transport programs between VMC's and HMC's.

The new school method is for folks too lazy to create their own planes IMNSHO! eek.gifbiggrin.giftongue.gif

quote:

I like Top as B0, Create a plane for B90, Bottom as B180, and Create a plane for B270. That way it is in the system as it is in the machine, AND i can easily transport programs between VMC's and HMC's.

This is how like to do it!

Seems like we take 1 step forward 3 back, Dear oh Dear does the ship have direction? confused.gif