Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chatter issues

I am machining an impeller in 6061 and cannot stop the tools from chattering. I have to hang out my tools 2.25 inches. The two tools in questions are a .250 ball and .375 ball. I have tried reducing and increasing spindle RPM and feed rate with no luck. My depth of cuts are .030 for the .375 cutter and .010 for the .250 cutter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sometimes carbide may be too "rigid". Might want to try HSS with AlTin coating. This may absorb some of the vibration. Make sure your speeds and feeds are good, and make sure you go "under" the chatter to get rid of it... In the past I have also wrapped up some rubber bands around my cutters to absorb some chatter eek.gif

I'm am using carbide mills. They have .375 and .500 flute lengths with the rest being solid shank. The portion of the shank sticking out is reduced by .020 for clearance and does not rub the part while machining. The tools are chucked in standard end mill holders, obviously not ideal since clamping is from one side with a set screw.

Is there any reduction or increase in speed, feed or depth of cut you guys would recoommend? I will try the rubber bands, that is on thing I've never tried.

Jimmy,

Contact Sandvik and ask them about their vibration dampening holders. They are kind of expensive, but work like magic for jobs like this. They have a liquid/mechanical dampening system built into the holder itself. The other thing you might consider is vibration Tap testing (also called hammer testing) to find the ideal RPM/DOC range for your setup.

Try this...