Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Running MC from remote location.

?Mark

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

So i read this thread and i dont think i caught everything. you can use gotomypc to access mc but you need your hasp on the remote computer? So is that two hasps one on each or just one on the computer that you are using ?

Any computer that runs Mill.exe has to have a hasp.

The only safe way to use gotomypc.com is to just hook up to a single computer and not run it across your company network. If you want to use gotomypc on a networked puter, it is best to use you laptop and not a public terminal.

Alot of users are not connected to a huge secure network. So security is a non issue. We keep Ghost backups of our systems and if we get a bugger, we just squash it....like a bug!! biggrin.gif

So for some, using a public terminal will be just fine. just make sure you dont have anything on the remote pc you wouldnt mind sharing with the rest of the world.

Latency is an issue however when you run a mouse based program that uses single clicks and double clicks. All that mouse tracking all over the screen can kinda slows you down, but it beats driving....

ASCII chars, like hot key commands, work better in a latency environment.

I just put a file "Your desktop on the go.doc" in the unspecified uploads folder on the FTP site. It explains how to set up remote desktop through a firewall and all. I have used it for a few applications. All remote applications will have latency problems. Some will have graphics issues. Try the remote desktop first. It is easy to set up and FREE.

quote:

I really don't recommend this guys. Check with your IT people first. This type of connection can seriously jepordize the integerty of your internal network. It bypasses a lot of firewall protocalls. I know you guys bitch about IT but they are there for a reason.

i did check with IT. he check it out and told me to go ahead. i don't use it on any computer but at home. i was just saying that you "could" access from anywhere.(at a customers even)