Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Same file work on both horizontal & vertical?

McLaren

I'm trying to figure out the best way to write my programs(new shop with horizontals & verticals), and was wondering if you guys have 2 different files for the same part so it can be ran on horizontals & verticals, or if there is someway to make the same file work on both.

It appears the proper way to program for a horizontal is front view, but vertical is top view. How come they aren't both top view?

Thanks in advance for any help, it's kinda confusing.

Depends on the program. I have a bunch of programs for our vertical Daewoos that also run on the Horiz. if we hit a schedule snag. As long as there is no rotation of the tombstone we get by with it. Our verticals are split table pallet style machines and I generally run the first side of a part on the 1st table(G54), and the back side of the part on the 2nd table(G55). I don't have to switch planes and have even gotten away with putting a 3rd fixture on the backside of the tombstone by inserting manual insert code commands to rotate the table.

Terry can you elaborate please? Do you draw the part like on a vertical, normal WCS top up? And then when you want to run it on a horizontal create a new WCS with front up and make all of the toolpaths reference that wcs?

How come the post processors for horizontals don't use the same plane as verticals?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I have never agreed with the idea of programming a Horz from the Front view. It adds much complexity to the post and the proccess, and what is the advantage?...

Can I PLEASE get an Amen!!! ???

For the life of me I can't see why they effed this up. The only benefit is for the goobers that didn't know or didn't want to take the time to know how to create tool planes IMNSHO. If you're one of those goobers and I've offended you... sorry, but not really. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

It all depends on what you want to do.

If you envision yourself doing 4 and 5 Axis stuff, you need to go with WCS Front as you "Base" WCS, then rotate youe planes about the front plane. Rt. Side = B90, Back = B180, Left Side = B270, etc... If not, you can go with how it's setup on the machine. It does not become a problem until you start indexing.

I do 4 axis all the time using axis sub on verticals and custom views on horizontals. I'll admit that I haven't gotten comfortable with using the WCS yet. I did just get solids(finally) so I plan on diving into Wcs again during my learning curve on using solids, and seeing if it is as great as you all keep claiming.