Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X2 MR1 Service Pack 1

See, the problem here that I face is that if I don't used canned cycles for pretty much everything, all I get is pi$$ing and moaning from the guys. And they can, according to the company charter, refuse to do the job if they feel it's unsafe, that previous programmers who didn't use canned cycles had guys do this...

It's a big to-do here and it annoys me alot that the guy getting paid $10/h has more say then the journeyman machinist.....

It is getting hard to justify Mantainece to the boss on the lathe side when almost nothing is getting fixed and the response I get from CNC is:

quote:

Don,

I agree with you, Lathe can use some serious love from the developers. But again, Multi-tasking is the first priority. Once that is ready they will have time to go back and address other issues.

Paul Decelles

If simple canned turning cycles can't be fixed just imagin Multi tasking.

Guest SAIPEM

quote:

I would be curious why the lathe stuff has such a low fix list. Seems there are lots of issues, especially the locating callouts before the G70 (X specifically)...?

I just get the feeling that lathe (which is the primary in the industry around here) is kinda low ball on the fix list. JM2C

That may be true but MC Lathe is far above most of the competition that CNC may feel it's sufficient to work around the problems for now.

I've been forced lately to spend a lot of time with SolidCAM Lathe lately because of the integration with SolidWorks.

SolidCAM Lathe is nowhere near the functionality of MC Lathe.

Basic functions like being able to drill off-center are not included.

There is no thread library to select from.

The system won't even calculate thread depth based on the nominal OD.

You actually have to enter the minor dia.

It is impossible to output a tool list at the header of an NC program.

No manual entry functions.

I'm still using MC Lathe for the real work for the foreseeable future.

quote:

CNC may feel it's sufficient to work around the problems for now

Irrelevant to if it a better software then any other on the market, if have a noted bug that can and will cause your machine to crash (X axis start point for G70 finishing CC's) and do nothing about this, does this not make you liable for the problem? If not liable, it would certainly encourage me to fix it!

I realize the line numbers in lathe are a huge inconvienience, but you know, I can live with re-numbering for now (cimco does a great job or renumbering...all I gotta do if fix the CC's). But, theoretically, line numbers wont cause a crash. At least not in the same respect that the G70 problem does/will.

It needs to put on the top of the list and fixed. I can accept a time wait, but this has been an issue for a while (ever?). Please get this fixed CNC!

Guest SAIPEM

quote:

if have a noted bug that can and will cause your machine to crash (X axis start point for G70 finishing CC's) and do nothing about this, does this not make you liable for the problem?

It doesn't make them liable.

Don't use canned finishing until it's fixed.

Standard G-Code executes just as fast.

The only down side is the size of the program.

quote:

Don't use canned finishing until it's fixed.

Standard G-Code executes just as fast.

The only down side is the size of the program.

In his defense, it sounds like his the company requires the use of canned cycles for operator convinience... or else.

So I believe he has every right to complain as much as he wants until this bug gets fixed curse.gif . After all, squeeky wheel gets the grease.

quote:

it sounds like his the company requires the use of canned cycles

I believe that is the case.

I gave up on them early in V9 and tell all perspective employeers that they've got the wrong guy if they require canned cycles.

Mastercam's canned cycles do not post properly

and they need a lot of work.

Even if they did there are so many differences

from control to control and machine to machine, that I doubt any CAM software will ever post

bulletproof canned cycles without serious post tweaking.

quote:

Even if they did there are so many differences

from control to control and machine to machine, that I doubt any CAM software will ever post

bulletproof canned cycles without serious post tweaking.

The problems now are not post end problems. If they can work on MATTS the 2 axis canned cycle should be a cinche? We are able to post and go on 5 axis mill work with so many different types of controls and variables. And how can we fix the post end if the cycle don't work? If this was a 5 axis mill problem creating crashes they would be on it ASAP Like I said its hard to justify lathe maintanence costs if almost nothing is fixed or changed. If I have lathe maintanence will I get MATTS at no additional charge?

Guest SAIPEM

Here's a simple solution until it's fixed.

1) Generate a separate roughing operation and disable posting. You'll only use this op for graphic verification

2) Modify the post for a finish op to use a Misc Int to flag output of a canned routine and use the Misc Reals to store the canned cycle parameters.

On my end, it has not been officially said that we require to use canned cycles. As I said, these guys can and will use the 'I don't get it, so I don't feel it's safe to run' clause and they won't run it and the company won't force them to.

I may have mis-interpreted my thoughts with CNC being liable. I didn't mean liable for the crash that could happen so much as I do liable or maybe accountable is a better word, to make the update that is so *in my mind* simple as to aleiviate this potential problem.

I still think MasterCam is the best CAD/CAM software on the market. I just think it has areas that are not being addressed that should be.

And I agree with Don, if that hasn't been evident already. Hard to justify maint. for lathe, when it's not getting looked at. Why update when there are no updates...?