Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T

petro7

Not m/c related although I used mastercam to make the burrs. We are looking for a tumbler to deburrs 316ss bearing cages we machine. the burrs are fairly large and take about 1 hr per part to deburr, I am not familar with tumbler so I don't know if this is feasable. there is no way to deburrs with a machining process. right now we have time to deburr between parts , but it is very teadious. any info will be appreciated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The situation that you describe is not typically a good tumbling or vibratory finishing scenario. Tumbling will typically beat the sh!t out of your parts unless you use a lot of media, in which case it typically doesn't deburr well at all. Vibratory finishing is a lot less violent and the aqueos solutions used pose no rust issue with 316, BUT, vibratory finishing will typically just beat the burrs into the parts and leave a rounded mess.

I await your photo to be more helpful

the piece is 5 inch o.d 4.inch id 1.7 high. we hold it with a top plate, so we can not mill around the edges. by the time all the counterbore are done the upright legs have moved, so when you mill round them you touch in some places and miss the others.

the burrs are quite large we use a carbide burr to remove the large burrs, then a stone to smooth out the part. there are 100 pcs. I have no idea what a hl -30 extrude hone is. this job is on going every couple months.

Shawn, this should not be that big of a deal for this part to come out almost burr free. We cut this sort of material on a daily basis. My guess is that you need to reconsider the process, work holding and tooling to eliminate or at least significantly reduce those burrs. It could be as easy as adjusting speeds and feeds...

Tumbling will beat up those parts pretty badly, so worst case scenario imho is sand blasting...

hth

cheers.gif

Abrasive Flow Deburring [typically called the Extrude Hone process by many people] uses a paste-like slurry of silicon carbide which is forced through passages under hydraulic pressure to remove burrs or flash from parts; usually from internal contours but we have used it on the inside and outside of parts. It doesn't sound like you have the quantity to buy a machine [although 100 hours of deburring per lot would kill me] and it also sounds like the burrs are too large for the process, but it is interesting to see what can be done. Can't hurt to ask the question of them.

http://www.extrudehone.com/index.php

Thanks for all the info guy's, I can try different machining methods, we have tested alot of different cutting tools, and have found the sandvik drill to work the best. we deburr while the machine is running so no time is really lost.someone has to be there just in case. I guess I was just hoping for a magical way of deburring, because deburring sucks.

I think those burrs are to big to tumble, you would have huge rads where the burrs are light.

maybe chemical deburr.

I would try to get it done on the machine do a profile on the inside and outside to deburr your holes then reach down with a small chamfer mill and just use the very top edge of the chafer tool

I don't know if o.d, i.d. are already turned to size, but if so and can hold that size...seems like a fixture that "puts metal" around id,o.d. would really reduce burrs,as they can't push out or if machined o.d. etc in mill have a fixture with doweled slip ring on i.d. od. that sort of thing. an hour a part deburring, can build a fixture. vibrate off sharp edges as no big burrs