Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

drill cycle transitions

somename75

I have a family of parts that I have to make on a newer Fadal. There are a huge number of holes in each part, so I am trying to find a way to squeeze more cycle time out of them becuase they are going to be pretty high volume soon. There is a lot of time being wasted in re-positioning between holes and I was thinking that it would a lot quicker if there was an arc move that positioned the machine from one hole to another. In other words I am trying to get away from drill, move straight up in z, stop, move in x and y, stop, then down in z. Anyone have any ideas ? Thanks in advance

You're in rapid, no feed move is going to be that fast.

Just make sure your hole to hole movements are the least amount of distance, keep your retract heights to a minimum, make sure your spindle is wound up and use the maximum feed rate your drill can give you. If you can accomplish these holes in G81 just pop'em through 1 at a time.

if the holes are close together feed would probably be quicker! the acc and dec and loop back time take to long. program it at a high feed between hole see what it is reaching in actual feed and slow feed to that. I should specify close I guess but its hard really depends on machine but I would think on "FATAL" a 1/4 to 3/8 might be close. remember a fadals rapid is probably only 787 ipm.

I couldn't agree more that this machine is a pos, but it is all I have to work with for the time being. I am using a 3 flute drill at 40ipm, because I need a very good finish, and need to hold +- .0005 on the dia. There is no thru coolant. I was hoping to be able to combine the xy and z moves from one holes R plane to the next holes R plane. Thereby eliminating the need for Z to stop, then xy to move then stop, then z start again. I hope that helps explain things a bit better, thanks for all your replies and suggestions, any more ideas would be awesome

Have you tried putting a G2/3 XYIJ in the lines that move hole to hole in you're drill cycles?

I know for a fact that it worked on the older Fadal's. We used to do goofy stuff like that for Westec and Santa Clara shows........

Kyle is correct also, if you tell your post to output the code longhand it will run faster than if it was output as a canned cycle. Significantly faster if there are a lot of holes.

But that will not put fillets in the corners to get away from the right angle moves. Saving your backplotted motion as geometry and then editing it to put fillets in and doing a 3D contour will probably yield the fastest run time. You will need to use change at point to modify feedrates and change between G1/G0 moves.

quote:

Have you tried putting a G2/3 XYIJ in the lines that move hole to hole in you're drill cycles?

Robert, can you give me some sample code? You're not talking about a drilling cycle for each hole location, with an arc move in between, are you? Otherwise, the positioning moves are built in to the canned cycle. headscratch.gif

Thad