Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cut paste operation - duplicate tools.

I have found that if I am copying more than one operation using the same tool it will prompt you if you want to create a new one or not. It can get very confusing if you have another tool used later on that is the same diameter and type, it will prompt you again. If there are many ops you are copying it is easy to get them FUBAR.

quote:

Try using import and importing the toolpath then you will be prompted "A similar tool exists would you like to add a second" You will also have the option to import the geometry too if you want the tool path to run the same path which will save you from reselecting drill points and chains

I don't think he is refering to importing from a OP library or another MCX file, rather just copying a toolpath from within the OP Manager. Is this correct?

quote:

it is a bug. i don't recall if its been fixed but numerous posts have been made about it. I haven't had it happen for some time now but i don't drag and drop anymore.

I wasn't aware that a bug report had been done on this problem. Do you have a bug #

Linky

Finally got back to reply...

>did you install sp1?

Our IS dept is swamped. We are still on X2 MR1. Hopefully next week, well get that installed.

>I don't think he is refering to importing from a OP >library or another MCX file, rather just copying a >toolpath from within the OP Manager. Is this >correct?

Yes. The truth is most of our programs have 75 to 150 operations. There is a lot of moving things around to optimize the program. I've been told there is a major change in the works for the OM. We'll see.

--

Bill

quote:

but i don't drag and drop anymore

I put the Red Arrow of Death where I want the copied operations.... then copy/paste to the

RA of D and delete the originals. I never get duplicate tools

Cut/paste can be dangerous..sometimes the system will crash with cut/paste, but copy /paste then delete the originals always works.

[ 06-10-2007, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

Well if I was seeing what you guys are seeing I would be pissed. I however am not seeing the problems you are seeing. I do it the same way as Gcode and have been for some time with no problems. The red arrow was made for some purpose. I all the time copy operations and may have 3 machine definitions in one file after it is all said and done. Example is I made a program for the Integrex, it was then going to be moved to the Okuma. Just make a new Machine Group copy the operations and it will ask you if you want duplicate tools I tell it no and all is good. Well then it was decided to be moved to the Mighty which is a Fanuc control. So I again made another machine group and copied the operations over to that machine group again I was asked do I want duplicate tools I again said no and again I did not get them.

Now you are very very upset that you get duplicate tools. You are at the point over duplicate tools you want to dump Mastercam because it is the only software ever made that has bug. Well go get you a big piece of Pro-E manufacturing, or any other software. There is this one problem with all software that until we decide human life is worth nothing will always be a problem that all software is written by humans. I have seen 6 people complain about this problem. Not 1000's of people so because 6 people are ready to jump ship CNC need to drop everything come to your business and see why on your computer you get a problem that 1000's of others are not getting. Ok lets put this in a business topic since you made the comment you are going into business for yourself. You make a part for a customer or a program for a customer. They tell you they have a Fanuc 15 control. So you make all your programs for that machine. Then they are really running it on an Okuma and just changing the code to work, but it does not work and keep telling you we are going to dump you. Well only problem is they represent 1% of your work. Now you got 400 customers and 399 of those customers are very happy with your work, but that one person is just pissed at you. Now do you drop everything take all of your people over to their shop to see what they are doing wrong pissing off the other 399 customers possibly losing their business or tell them you will look into it and do your best to duplicate what they are seeing since you can not see it??

How many screen shots have you sent to QC about it?? If I seen it everyday everytime I tried to do it I would have screen shots and methods to reproduce it so I can show someone a way in which they might be able to fix it. I know not your job, or they just need to fix it. Well again I do not see it and others do not see it.

Yes I have been in your shoes I had a computer that that was just buggy. I could never reproduce the same problems on other computer. I could always reproduce it on mine but not others. I finally did a complete reinstall on the OS cleaning out the HD wiping it clean and after that I did not see the same problem. So was that CNC fault or was it my fault or was it just the fact that computers are computers and not everyone of them are the same and not everyone of them Are being used the same way or have the same software on them??

Oh and if you were in the Beta Froum you would see I am one to report problems and ask for things to be addressed.

Sorry for the length JMHO

"I have seen 6 people complain about this problem. Not 1000's of people so because 6 people are ready to jump ship CNC need to drop everything come to your business and see why on your computer you get a problem that 1000's of others are not getting."

Ron,

To be sure MOST users have no troubles. The issue comes to those of use with lots of operations (my current has 150+ of them). Not really the complexity of toolpath but the large numbers of them. To be honest here, CNC Software did come out to our place and did acknowledge the need for an improved OM on large operation listings.

We offered many suggestions which they took copious notes of. Much of it involves a simpler way to quickly interrogate the OM for tools, toolpaths, and plane associations to them. (if you've seen the NX OM you know just what I mean). I am told major changes are coming in that area.

I've seen improvments in X2 MR1 such as the jumping screen on copy or the "Invalid argument error". We'll see how it all pans out.

--

Bill