Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Import Operations/Tools

MLS

I remember trying to import operations and such in Version 9 with disastrous results. Unfortunately when I did it corrupted my files. Not only the one I was working on, but the one I imported from as well.

Have any of you used this feature in X2 successfully and consistently? I am apprehensive to try it out and start using it for fear of corrupting some massive files down the road. Although everything is backed up, it turns what should be a time saver into a long ordeal trying to recover.

quote:

Have any of you used this feature in X2 successfully and consistently

I use it daily. I don't try to import geometry

or swap WCS's and toolplanes.

I've got whole libraries of OPs that I do

regularly. Just import, rechain and done..

me too. However, if it is an op from v9 and your importing to x(any version). make sure you save your work first. it will ask to update op file to x, you say yes, and then you lose all of the toolpaths that you have already and it gives you only the imported file. at this point i reload original file and then import the updated operation into the current toolpaths. after your imported files are updated to x you won't have any probs at all.

there may be a way of updating your op files before importing but i don't know how. i just know that this works. pissed me off the first time it happened tho.

I've imported ops 95% of the time since V7 and haven't had any issues. Just like gcode...import, rechain, and regen. Nothing fancy.

I've never imported from previous versions. I've always gone through the steps to update my libraries from version to to version.

Thad

Thanks John. I tried it and it alarmed and sent an error to mc. it did do about half of them though (about 20) before it alarmed. it did say that i had quite a few corrupt files. I finally went to Files in op manager and converted them through that. I needed to change all of them anyways for tooling change that i had been putting off but now their all up to date and right version.

doyleg,

You could try opening them just like a MC file by selecting the "all files" file type. Then save them in X2. Rename the file with a .operations extension.

I haven't tried this but it's worth a shot.

Thad

Ive always had problems with importing operations from one file to another or from a library to a file. Some days its on, some its not and it corrupts everything in its path. Been burned a couple times on it as well. When it does do something bad, its usually something really small and I miss it occasionally (example: Imported tool #3, changed the diameter comp to #6... not good)

edit:: I havent had a chance to do some importing since I installed sp1 so I cant comment on the current version.

thanks thad, i was attempting that same thing but it was taking too long (over 40 files). going through the op manager and clicking 'files' got me to my operation defaults and editting through here was at least 2x as fast. i was able to edit pgm and update to x2 at same time.