Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 MILL POST FOR C AXIS LATHE LIVE TOOL?

rsbeadle

We are in the process of getting a Daewoo / Doosan vertical lathe with Fanuc 21i control and live tooling. We can g code the lathe programs but not the c-axis contouring programs. Is it possible to use mill level 3 to post programs to the lathe for the live tooling? I can do some minor post mods but I am no expert. We can get lathe added to a seat if we neet to but I would like to avoid it if possible. Thanks

There might be a work around. If your machine uses a G12.1 Milling Interpolation on, G13.1 off. I'm pretty sure it does.

(1) Create the pattern that you want in the top view with center at 0,0,0 and post it.

(2) Change all your Y's to C's. I'm pretty sure you can leave the X's alone, (if not) you might have to double the values for diameter. Leave the Z's alone, unless you want to change the depths of cut. You can do this pretty easy using your editing programs.

(3) Rapid to starting point X?? Z.1 or what ever.Use the g-code ?? to ?? deg. position the orientation of the C-axis to where to start your pattern. Then the G12.1 Then insert your edited program, and G13.1 to cancel. Rapid moves are not allowed in between.

Dan

Thanks danbo. I am pretty sure your method will work, but I was thinking more along the lines of using a 4th axis type program and keeping the progam using only X and Z and replacing A with C for the 4th axis. I know there is a c-hook to contour using the A axis in X2 mill (roll? something). I can edit the post to output g and m codes for the lathe easily if I can get the moves to output what I need. Anyone out there doing this? Thanks.

Nope IMHO is wrong way in which to go about this. You are going to make a lathe program then you are going to then make a mill program you are then going to copy and paste programs together. Ok so let say you are only going to make one part and run that same part for 5 years then I would do it this way. I however think you are going to be doing different parts and be in a situation where you are going to need to edit things and make changes. Now every time you need to do this it will be edit and paste. Now I have no idea what your shop rate is but let's say it is $60/hr. If you take 3 to 5 hours week from production having to Mickey Mouse it. This cost the company $180 to $300 a week upfront and costing them $180 to $300 on the back since this is time you can not be putting on the next job. So in one year it could cost the company $9,360 to $15,600 in up front costs and $9,360 to $15,600 in lost time not being put on other jobs. So in 5 years your company could have lost up to $156,000 by not getting the seat upgraded to do all of this at the same time.

Please do a personal favor. I beg you to tell the person making this decision I personally thank them for sending more work out of America by being Penny wise and $1000 dumb.

Lathe Level 1 is a cheap upgrade.

1 crashed toolblock will cost you more than that.

A serious crash with cost you 10X the price

of Level 1.

The best case situation is you will spend weeks

stuggling with simple stuff and not even try

hard stuff.

At worst you will wreck the machine or scrap

a valuable part.

If you bill a $100/hr on that machine, a week of dickin' around will pay for Lathe Level 1.

The other issue is offline vrs online programming.

While you're standing there fingering code into the control, it is not making money.

Your company just dropped $1/4 million + on a really nice peice of equipment. Spend the few

thousand needed to program it properly.