Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tuning the highfeed option

peon

I'm starting to play around with the highfeed optimization. I made a test cut with a 1/2" flat endmill, machining a 2" circle, .625" deep, 1640 rpm @ 17.1 ipm. I cranked the feed at the controller as high as it would allow which resulted in 105 ipm. There was no gouging. I plugged 105 ipm in the corner acceleration tab and which resulted in 0.007934 G's. No complaints here so far. smile.gif I finally applied the highfeed option to some toolpaths (see 11588_SLIDE_FACE.Z2G on the ftp server, operations 4 and 5)which resulted in a very poor finish on the straight walls, but the corners looked great. If I turn the highfeed option off, I get the finish I desire. Anyone have any ideas on this little dillema. Thanks!

Both toolpaths are programmed with 2-roughing passes at .002" and 2-finishing passes at .000". The first roughing pass leaves an adequate finish, but the finish passes have scallops. Both cutters are new carbide with a tin coating which always resulted in a great finish without the highfeed. I'm assuming the feedrate is too high after the highfeed option. I have the optimization set to roughing and finishing.

Hello Rick, I considered those settings, but I only have the problem on the straight areas on the perimeter of my part. The corners look nice. I think the highfeed option is suppose slow down in the corners and maintain the correct chipload according to the axial and radial depth of cuts. It appears it is handling the corners fine, but EXCEEDING the chipload in the straights.

Thank you! I totally misunderstood chipload vs volume removal when using this feature. I'll set the max feedrate to a reasonable rate. Rick, the 1/2" endmill's feedrate was increased from 17 ipm to 105 ipm on the straights leaving large scallops. Thanks again folks!

The tool was only programmed at 1640 rpm @17.1 ipm (215 sfm @ .0026" chipload). I suppose I could try 1000 sfm at .0026" chipload = 7640 rpm @ 80 ipm for our 4-flute cutter. We're in a transition period and just getting into high speed machining and hard milling vs the old conventional milling. I purchased both of Dale Mickelson's books and finally starting to apply these newer methods of machining.

• 3 weeks later...

Mattstang70, I have Dale Mickelson's first book. Is the second or newer book just a rehash? Is it worth spending 40.00 dollars if you already have the first book? Your opinion would be appreciated. Sorry for the hijack.