Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

overlap on lead in

Larry1958

Hey, I just noticed the overlap feature on lead in lead out. I was told by one of the guys on the floor to use overlap on circle contouring to reduce the tool marking on start and finish of contours. I have never had to do this before. I have always use a tangent approach with a smaller arc to do this, but there is almost always some kind of dwell mark at the start, and end point. I used the overlap at .1 but still have a mark, although it is less noticeable. Call me stupid, but why would you use this feature anyway? It seems to me that it would just create another mark where the overlap would end with the new setting.

I use this regularly for clean blends, I will use it in conjunction with a helix up and down as well when finishing a wall and floor.

It is not a default, I set it when I want it

o.k., I tried it and it seems to just be leaving the same mark only at the new end point. I think I am having some backlash issues with the machine, or the part is moving a little while machining. I am machining Black Delrin using double sided tape. I trammed the part after machining and only reads .001 T.I.R. on the bore, but the mark is very noticable.

A couple more instances where it works well.

Interpolating bushing holes(Sounded crazy to me when I saw another guy doing this) with comp to control diameters, some machines leave a tiny nipple. Enough to cause a headache when installing the bushing.

On machines with spline compression calculation for high speed functions, it will leave a small nipple on the surface relative to the tolerance set in the parameters.

• 3 months later...

On finish Id"s I set the lead in/out to 120/180 deg., you can chain a point in the center of the hole, NOT use entry line and enter a rad just a little smaller than the hole size, set the use entry point in the lead in/out and Mastercam will calculate the line length for you. For external features where I am getting unacceptable in/out marks, I either create small(.003) rads on the corners, and lead in/ out from there, or if the contour dictates, I will create entry/exit arcs at the midpoint of a rad that are larger the the rad, chain those arcs as part of mt toolpath then turn infinate lookahead to OFF. This make a nice gentle entry exit for the tool and will practically eliminate any marking. I do that only on an as needed basis.